"training"

shaffstall721

PR Member
Ive always tried to stay fit and in shape by going to the gym 3-4 times a week, but what are some of the best workouts to stay in best shape for mx? Last time i went to the track I couldnt even hold onto the bars after 1/2 of a lap (i havent really rode consistently for 7 years but i plan on doing so this year) I heard the best thing is Rows and pull ups. I have been trying to get some cardio in but thats always boring. lol Anyways what do you guys do to stay in shape, im not 16 anymore and I seem to get tired very quicky which makes riding not as fun as it once was.

Just keep at it stay focused I lift three days a week and just started spin classes. I think they are really going to help it keeps your heart rate up the whole time and really challenges you.

anything to get your heart rate up. swimming is awesome, or just in your house you can jump rope. im going to try to keep running but i havent been doing it much cuz of the cold..makes it worse for someone that never ran before.

i ride my stationary bike but ti gets really boring and never gets my heart rate up nearly as much as anything else.. my legs get tired and sore before my heart rate goes up

a few people on here have been doing p90x and seem to like it. i did 1 month of it before i broke my collarbone, but it was working pretty well.. im going to start that back up as soon as im 100% healed. lots of time dedicated to that program though.

in the end i think finding something you can somehwat enjoy enough to keep you motivated to do it, will be best!

TRX twice a week, Run twice per week, Ride 2-3 times per week. REST. Spinning is kick arse for cardio too. You could supplement that for running. But the more you ride, the better off you are. For me personally its riding three days per week to beat the arm pump gremlin. Nothing replaces riding. The other stuff helps but not a cure.

it'd be interesting to see what 5'nothing 115 lb blake wharton does for training. Ever since he flexed his "guns" on (i think) the twmx movie, I could never understand how he rode a dirt scooter so fast and in control.

Well he hasnt been all that in control this sx season. He's laying on the ground a lot. And loses steam after 10 laps...did have a solid ride in Canada though...

You want to be lifting Upper, Core, and Lower Body throughout the week and also be doing cardio. Ill go to the gymn monday through friday, keep friday light if your planning to ride sat, and ill start up with a warm up on the stationary bike, or run....running ill do a faster pace maybe pick it up as i progress but ill do a mile n a half or 2 miles then go to lifting. If i do the Stationary bike ill do a good 10 minute interval program on it. On the ones at my univ you just hit hill plus and theres a list of diff programs for hills: cascades, speed interval, hills, interval, kilamajaro (sp?) etc Ill do interval to get my heart rate up well. It starts you out one just a flat surface then hit you with a small incline then flat then a bigger incline flat and the inclines will get to the max twice then they start goin down then you cool off. The heart moniters dont work on it for some reason during the interval probably becuase you heart fluctuates so much but it wont kick in until the cool down and when the cool down starts im at about 165-160 and it was for a 20 year old at 80% 160 is the ideal heart rate. So im sure when the interval is at its peak incline im pushin 180 i would guess. But anways....from here go lift

For lifting iv been doing the steve hatch workouts....hes got 5 different excercises for upper, core and lower. Heres the dvd http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqKW455LuW8 Ill do those plus a couple other excercises. Either upper or lower, then the next day the opposite. After my upper or lower ill do 5 core excercizes. I have to different workout plans for them so one day ill do the one set of core excercises, the next day ill do the other.

Then back to cardio....at this point i strongly recomemend using the rowing machines.....my gymn at the univ luckily has 5 Concept 2 rowers, the ones endorsed by MTF and many MX trainers for the pros etc. I like to do circuits but when your starting out i would do a week of just steady rowing no pressure to get the form down and get a feel for it all After your ready i would start doing some interval circuits! They will kick ur @$$ but they are well worth it and they are really fun.....youll def feel good afterwards....well youll feel good about yourself moreso. Rowing is great for MX because you work your legs just like standing and sitting on the bike, your core which is also used on the bike, and your arms pulling the bars on the machine into your body just like pulling in the bars on the bike. Latly iv been doing a circuit where you do 200M sprint, then you have 45 secs to hop off and do 10 dips, 10 barbell pushups (set two barbells on the ground apart about the same distance your grips are on ur handle bars and grab those and do 10 pushups then do 10 weighted crunches with a 35 or 45 lbs plate held above your head then hop up n right back on the rower n 200 M sprint and so forth but heres a good list from Racerx of different motocross training circuits on the rower
http://www.racerxvt.com/category/concept2-rowing Videos 5,6,7, and 8 are great MX specific circuits
http://www.racerxvt.com/article/product-review-concept2-rower go half way down and there are some general workouts on the rowing machine

Hope this helps

That rowing looks intense. I like how they have the workout laid out for you too. The theory behind it sounds right. Also, I like the setups with the Handlebars.

For sure! They can be really intense if you really push yourself! And doing the circuits helps out ALOT more too! THat SX blaster one is deadly! Definately something you have to push hard at and work your way up to.

Thanks for all the input and those rows look intense lol. I am going to try some of that workout for sure i might die though lol. I guess while its still snowing in april ill hit the gym instead of riding!

Not sure where u are located but Phil bechtal runs mma classes that are a great why to great into shape good cardio work out for sure if anybody is interested pm me and ill give u his number well worth it

Back