How to get started racing?

JD5

Noob
Hey all,
My son is 11 and he is wanting to race! How do I get him signed up for racing. Is there a circuit we need to follow and race in? He was wanting to do Faircross this year but I can't find a schedule or rules for classes? He is racing an 01' KTM 50 sr lc dirtbike. Any help would be appreciated......

JD5,

There is a lot to undertake being a newby and coming into the racing world without much knowledge of how to do so......... but the people are all great and will be very friendly and helpful to get you going in the right direction. First order of business is your son and his bike. The KTM 50 SX Pro Sr is a "Peewee" class bike and really set up for kids that are 7 - 8 years old and with an 11 year old............. he's to old to legally be able to race that bike against the the 7 - 8 year olds. The next step up is the Beginner 65 class where he can be 7 - 11 years old and race up to a 65cc motorcycle (and I believe he can race his 50 in there too, but he'll be against kids his age). The beginner 65 class usually runs on peewee tracks as these kids are just getting their feet wet into racing and learning how to ride, much like your kid. The regular 65 class runs on the big track and a big step up from the beginner class, but something for your son to watch.

Another thing to keep in mind is when the age groups are effective for youth racers. Your childs age on Jan 1, 2011 is his age for the entire 2011 season. (Example, of your kid turned 12 on Jan 5, 2011........... he's considered 11 for this entire racing season and doesn't have to be in the 12 -13 year old class until next year).

CRA also has the "trailbike" class which is great for kids that are older just getting started. It's for older kids riding less competitive models of bikes (not 65cc or 85cc two strokes) to get used to racing on the Peewee tracks as well. Your kid might want to get started here with a Honda CRF 70 or CRF80, or Yamaha TTR110, or Kawasaki KLX110, or Suzuki DRZ 110 in this class. It will be similar to the beginner 65 but with less "racy" motorcycles.

Just some things to think about as you get ready to get your feet wet in racing.

Thanks Rocket Robin! I hope he can race his 50cc with the 65cc 11 year olds. My son has a condition that has affected his growth. He is only 52" tall and weighs about 58 lbs. The 65's are just to big for him. What option would he have when he turns 12? Can 12 years old or older not run 65s? Thanks................

It's great he wants to get out there and run! I did horrible in my 1st race but it was still one of the best times I ever had. He will enjoy it for sure! Really wish I could help more than this but I'm new to competive racing myself.

Can 12 years old or older not run 65s?
They can't run them in the 65 class. Once he turns 12, you are looking at the Senior mini class. Kids in the Junior mini class do run 65's in there. The age for Junior mini is 11 and under though.
Even at his height and weight, you should be able to find a 65 that he will fit on. Suzuki and Kawasaki 65's can be lowered by changing the "dog-bone" on the rear linkage.

bdavis27701, Thank You for your help. A couple more questions. Are those rules for all sanctions? and could he run a 50cc in the jr and sr minis then? Sorry for my ignorance....................

Those are CRA rules but they will be basically the same everywhere. Running a 50cc bike in jr or sr mini wouldn't be a good thing. For one, the power of the 50 compared to the 85's in those classes isn't even close which will play into safety of him with the bigger bikes.
Your best bet would be to hit up a few local races to watch and ask a few of the mini parents if your son can sit on their bikes. It will give you an idea of what brand and size will actually work for him.

Well, get your feet wet a little bit and see if he likes it before you get too far into all of it. 1st, go and ride the KTM 50 SR in the 65 beginner class at a local CRA race track that has a separate Peewee track........ that is step 1.

Once you get past that and if you love it and kid loves it.......... more steps can be made later. The KX60 and RM60 made through 2004 has old style Uni Track design that can easily be lowered down to a 22" seat height........ How do I know? My 7 year old has one and started riding it last year at 6. He's only 48" tall now and started on the 60 at 45.5" and all the way lowered could touch the ground with both feet. My 7 year old will be riding and may race 1 or 2 times this year in the beginner 65 class as well........... he's just riding and developing good skills at this point and staying away from the competitive Peewee racing of 50cc automatics for now. Once he gets big enough, he'll get a KTM 65 and ride that.

Just try it out and enjoy it........ add once you know that you are staying in it. It's all about fun.

There is always the jr. trail bike class too. 12 and under, 4 stroke under 110cc. There are alot of options for smaller trail bikes and you can do things like add a kit to give them a clutch and a transmission you have to shift. The crf 70 is probably smaller than a 65 and the crf 80 has a clutch but is a bit bigger, the suzuki and kawasaki 110s I believe are shorter than a 65 and you can upgrade the suspension a bit and add a clutch. That is if you want to to ride with a clutch because he does not have too. The trail bike classes are still very competitive and he will not be out machined there.

Hey all,
My son is 11 and he is wanting to race! How do I get him signed up for racing. Is there a circuit we need to follow and race in? He was wanting to do Faircross this year but I can't find a schedule or rules for classes? He is racing an 01' KTM 50 sr lc dirtbike. Any help would be appreciated......

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com...nts/AMA_Racing_Rulebook09_MXVersion.sflb.ashx

Click that link, that's the rulebook for AMA, I couldn't find one on the CRA website as they are two different sanctions but they are relatively similar...

Thanks Rocket Robin! I hope he can race his 50cc with the 65cc 11 year olds. My son has a condition that has affected his growth. He is only 52" tall and weighs about 58 lbs. The 65's are just to big for him. What option would he have when he turns 12? Can 12 years old or older not run 65s? Thanks................

JD5, my son is 45 inches tall. He is only 6 and still rides a Cobra Junior, but this is his clutch bike for this year, a 2000 KX60. The beauty with these older bikes is they are not as tall as the 65's and you can buy a rear linkage lowering kit, which I have on this bike, and drop the front forks through the triple clamps. He holds this up just fine and I don't even have it lowered as low as it can go. Just an option for ya. The RM60's are the same so either a KX or RM would work for ya and give ya some options.

attachment.php

I would suggest you take him to APPLE CABIN practice track in Lodi OH. They will open as soon as weather permits and will be open Thursdays at 4pm till dark. They have one of the best tracks in Ohio to practice on.They have 3 tracks---peewee,beginner,and big bikes.This would get him more comfortable riding with other riders and can ride at his pace.

It’s really appreciable that your son wanting to race and there is no age limit to learn something in life. He has ability to prove himself.

<colgroup><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

<colgroup><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

deffenetly take him to a practice a few times to get used to riding with other riders his age before going to a race . u will thank yourself later

Back