Tire change with Black Excel Rims

DDusman

PR Member
Any suggestions on how to "not" scratch black Excel rims while changing the tire? This is my first set of painted/coated rims. Do you have any tips that work? Are there special tire irons?

Thanks.

TCracing

PR Addict
I need to get some of them. Our rims Look like Crap from tire changes.
Definitely will before I ruin another rim.

TBO

PR Addict
I tryed a set of those and didnt havent much luck. They kept popping off and actualy wore right through them. They are cheap and might be worth a try just didnt work to well with mounting a new tire.

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
when i had my wheels powder coated i just started taking them to the shop to get changed. much less damage than tire irons. saved those for at the track changes only! i had black wheel paint from painting some junk car wheels i just kept touching them up here and there as needed. seemed to work OK.

MX955

PitRacer Pro
I've had black wheels,well on lots of bikes...I just make sure to use LOTS of soapy water while changing them and keep the edges of your tire irons sanded smooth and rounded. You really don't touch the outside of the rim that much when changing tires...

Schwindy482

PR Member
I just wrap black tape all around the ends of my tire spoons seems to work just fine and as MX955 says lots of lube soapy water, or even straight dish liquid.

J

jdio121

i used the clear plastic from my goggle boxes, cut little squares and would wedge them on the rim under my irons and with a little lube smoothed them right on, no damage.

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
guess its easier just to rock silver wheels

really want black ones for the ktm but its time to spend $ on riding not parts.