08 Ktm forks

zig917

Noob
I need to replace seals and also want to change springs on the front end, my question is can i do this without messing with the closed cartridge? if not what special tools are needed to service the cartridge as well? Is there air or oil in the cartridge. If oil how many cc's are recommended, air psi? Im definetly mechanically inclined enough to do it, just wanna know what im getting into so ive got required tools. Last set of forks i was in was 01rm250 totally different! THE BIKE IS 08 250sx if it matters. Thanks alot.

You can replace the seals and springs with out opening up the cartridge. the only tool u need is a cartridge rod holder ( or a cresent wrench) so you can take the rebound adjuster off the cartridge shaft. this will let you pull the cartridge and spring out. then you can pull your upper and lower slide apart to do your seals. i changed the spring in my 08 144 when i had it and its not that bad.

If you have lots of time on them i would change the oil. my bike was new at the time when i did my springs so i did mess with the cartridge. the forks are just like showa cartridge forks and its not hard to service the cartridge oil.

alright dude one more question. the main tube calls for 350cc oil i believe but i cant find where the amount for the cartridge. i watched a vid on a showa and they filled the cartridge full put the cap on and displaced some fluid then let the excess run out the bleed holes on the side of the cartridge. is the cartridge level not that important? and i keep seeing a tool at ktm parts that looks like a bicycle air pump that says its for 08 to 09 wp closed cartridge service anybody know of that?

I think the tool is for setting the outter tube oil level....which i got mine off the race-tech web site. i have only done showa cartridge oil changes and you are right about filling them up installing the plunger and letting the oil bleed out the weep hole. wish i could say thats the case with the ktm but i cant... i never opened the cartridge up on my ktm. but they sure seem just like showa to me. maybe someone else on here could tell you for sure.

Back