Yamaha RT 100

BigYac

PR Member
We got my step daughter an RT 100 to learn on since shes been wanting to try riding. She just cannot seem to get the clutch down. Does anyone know of a company that makes an auto clutch for this bike? I figure that way she can ride and not have to worry about using the clutch for now. I'm impressed with how this little bike runs, even with me on it(300lbs), it will go pretty good, the top end feels alittle choked up but I figure thats more of this bike being designed to be a mild mannered trail bike.

Just keep working with her, she will get it. In my opinion don't give her the easy way out cause most likely her next bike will have a clutch as well. I would think a key thing is that she can touch well especially while she is getting use to the bike. I am a female and have 2 daughters that ride. Not sure where you ride, but we often go to Crow Canyon and would def. be willing to give her some help and encouragement.

I have to agree with Lotts24 on this. We have a 1999 RT100 that we taught all of our kids to ride on and I don't think you can find an easier bike to learn on. I don't think that it will go much over 5 or 6 mph in 1st gear, and not exactly sure it will pop a wheely unless you really crank the gas before popping the clutch.

We did a lot of dry practice runs taking off, without the engine running with me physically pushing the bike from a dead stop to help them understand the feel of the bike pulling as it takes off forward. I had to drill them repeatedly over and over to lean forward, and stay leaned forward. If they weren't leaning forward, the bike would lunge and their arms would stretch and pop the clutch. Lots of practice starts and stops over and over, with me running beside them. And I wouldn't let them ever shift until they had clutch action down very well, nearly by habit.

In my opinion don't give her the easy way out cause most likely her next bike will have a clutch as well.

I have to strongly agree on this. Any kid will quickly learn a clutch if they need to, but will never learn it, if they don't need to.

You can also go down a tooth on the front sprocket until she gets it. I had to do this for my wife to be, it really helped the stalling and she did not get as frustrated.

Back