2011 AMA Vintage Days

I'm kinda ok with the ****ty flat track as I have fun on it...BUT try taking a wild azz guess as to what I think REALLY sucks about the mx races at mid-ohio?

Mooch, you'd think they'd made you sit on your bike backwards, both hands on helmet, dead engine in fifth gear! :rolleyes:

A decent starting procedure shouldn't be all that difficult! :eek:

Yeah I know, I endlessly biotch about the lack of any kind of rubber band start or anything, but starts have always been something I'm particularly fond of...the whole anticipation of the gate dropping (ok, even a rubber band snapping) and timing things just right is a blast.

That whole ultra-lame hand on your helmet BS takes too much away from having a fun and fair start. Yes, I'm bitter about the AMA taking our money and not doing diddly squat about this year after year at mid-ohio. If this was some cobbled together impromptu race at some backwoods venue that's not being hyped as an AMA "national championship" I wouldn't give it much thought...but that's not the case.

Ok, I'll stop for now :)

the hare scramble last year was an experience,completed 1 whole lap which was good enough for 2nd in 50+ expert,mud beyound mud and rain did I mention the rain,was it fun?,yep!,doing it again this year?,nope,maybe trials if my hodaka 250 trails bike works better than last year
smitty

the hare scramble last year was an experience,completed 1 whole lap which was good enough for 2nd in 50+ expert,mud beyound mud and rain did I mention the rain,was it fun?

I still watch the video now and again of the start of that race. If I could of known the outcome of a race start during a monsoon I would have left my bike home that day.

monsoon was right,it was raining before the race,on the way to the line,waiting for the start/riders meeting,and during the race,I focused on finishing that first lap,after passing scoring I went for #2 but the bike was overheating due to the mud pack cooling system I was using,going back to the pits for a cold one sounded like a better idea,that was the hardest thing I have ever done on a dirt bike
smitty

As I've gotten older and more of a fair-weather rider I usually abibe by the rule "I do not go off the starting line in the rain." Last year not only did I go off the line twice in the rain, they were both terrible (the other was at Jeepskool CC).

That Mid Ohio HS was I think the hardest thing I've ever done either on a bike. Not only was it raining at the start -- it was POURING! The only thing that saved me at all was I was on my '78 RM250 and could touch the ground really well. I made it that whole race without falling and only got stuck once on the big hill. That was definitely pure survival. Believe it or not I even managed to keep my goggles on the whole time!

I dug a little.....Here's the video of the post vintage 200cc and under class start. My bike drowned out before I could get off of the motocross track.

I was in the row behind. Still can't believe how hard it was raining when we all went off the line.

my goggles were done by the first corner,had a a pair of shooters glasses under them which work for the rest of the time on the track,I did stop a couple of times to clean(?) them

Back