Rumor of Honda bringing back the cr?

Ok, I dug out the mag that has caused these rumors to spread all over....here is the exact quote, which comes at the end of their "History of the CR250" article in the May issue of Dirt Bike.

Will the CR250 ever return? There are whispers of a new two-stroke in the works at Honda. We're not surprised - almost everything is in the works somewhere at Honda. But if it comes, it won't be a CR250. It will be something else. Membership in the dirt bike icon club is very exclusive.

So, tell me how that has turned into rumors all around message boards that the CR250 is coming back? They are probably building an enviro-friendly 2-stroke scooter or weed-wacker....

Back as far as 1990, Honda had a 2 stroke engine designated the EXP2. It used a combustion process not too far removed from what happens inside a diesel engine to burn more fuel particles. The basic idea was to have combustion happen simultaneously across the dome of the piston instead of starting at one point (the spark plug). This (in theory) resulted in a more complete combustion cycle. The powervalve actually doubled as a gate of sorts to minimize blowby. The engine was tested in various cc with a 400cc unit raced in the defunct Paris-Dakar rally. DB tested this bike sometime around 1995.

Honda did this more as an engineering or proof-of-concept design than anything else.

yamadogyz - You gotta fix that. I got a Yz 250 in the garage, just give me a heads up, you can take it for a spin. Go ahead and grab a rear fender on your way, just in case, ya know.

Thanks, I really appriciate it. A good buddy just got a CR250 not too long ago, were racing at malvern May 7th so I might get lucky. Next time I come down to BC I might just have to take you up on that offer haha

Back