Bultaco killer revisted

evomx244

PR Addict
March 2010 we are at the AHRMA national in Gainesville, Florida Terry Bernard (TB901) is recovering from a recent knee operation. After watching the 125 Historic Expert class from the side lines, he notices that team Bultaco rider Mark Stalhman is having way too much fun winning without any serious competition. I believe at that very moment project Bultaco was born! The plan was simple find a 77 RM 125 and let Scott (me) do all the work while Terry foots the bill ! Sounds simple enough but for one small problem, can’t find a 77 RM 125 with a search warrant. Well what now?
Terry and I have both bought stuff from a good old boy up in Dayton, Jim always seems to have plenty of RM stuff of questionable quality. Although Jim didn’t have any 77 RM 125 stuff he did have a some parts bikes of 77/78 RM 100 vintage. Heck close enough we thought !

Here's what we started with !

bullKiller001.jpg

bullKiller002.jpg

Wow were we/ (I) wrong ! You see unlike YZ 125 verse YZ100 where the only real difference is the top end, RM’s are a completely different animal. Which explains to me why you saw so many YZ125’s converted for the longer suspension back in the day and hardly any RM 125’s to RM 100’s. (Way more work)
RM100’s have a different rod, crank and even the cases. We found this out the HARD way!

Fast forward, most of the bike has been collecting dust in my garage after the above mention sit backs for close to a year. I did get Terry to take home the frame and swing arm under protest a few months back. My plan was to move all the stuff one box at a time over to his house, but I’m pretty sure Terry caught on to my game plan as he would not even consider taking any more stuff. (Pretty sure he realized the project would DOA once moved)
Terry’s plan was a simple one, just wait me out and sooner or later I’d get tired of looking at it and finish the project. Terry’s plan worked, a few weeks ago I decided to pick this protect back up and finish the motor. I will spare you all the painfully details and a voice mail that Terry received on a Saturday afternoon telling what I thought about this POS ! Anyways here is a pic of where the project up on wheels ! I'll post a few of the engine later today. I’m pretty sure we’re shooting for the Ohio AHRMA race in June.

Big Thanks to Mike (Original 44) for his 77 RM 125 parts that he gave Terry a smoking deal on !

BullKiller003.jpg

BullKiller004.jpg

IMG00140.jpg

Seeing your pic's is making me anxious to dig into my 76.
Every time I am poking around in my barn I usually end up setting on it, and saying to myself........"yea....this one will be fun to ride!"

Looking good!

I think I'm going to drop off a couple bikes at Evo's house and let them sit there for a bit.....

After talking with Terry this morning, the custom works shocks are on order..... and he had a bit of a set back on painting the exhaust pipe ! Persevere Terry Persevere

Back