Carbs on the Brain

NQ1965

PR Elite
I'm getting my learning on Mikuni carburetors.

Studying info about my carb on my MX250, thinking I would be rebuilding it and the only kits I'm seeing are on ebay, and then I see new carburetors selling for the price of rebuild kits?

I've always done my own carburetor work, but never really knew how they are sized and spec'd for bikes. Looks like the Mikuni type VM is the common unit for many older bikes, just varying in bore size.

How do you guys usually handle your carb issues when rebuilding older bikes?
Are there rebuild kits out there available that costs less than a new carb?

Been told I can run a larger bore carb on my bike, and I do have one I picked up off ebay a year ago that is larger (a 35mm), it would be nice to rebuild my original 30mm and rebuild the 35mm as well that way I could run both and see how they perform.

hmmm.......tasty!
Some decisions come easy. This was my 30mm.
Yea........I ordered a new one. And I found a good supply of parts, gaskets and seals to renew my 35mm.

I wanted to have this bike ready for Mid-Ohio but just not gonna happen. Way too much to do on it yet.

Attachments

• MX250 30mm Carb.jpg
    MX250 30mm Carb.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 286
Have you checked out Sudco?

I called the number on their website and ordered a few jets from them and they sent me a huge catalog that was actually a pretty nice thing to have on hand.

Thanks for the info Mooch.
Looks like a real good parts source. They have quite a bit of info on the Mikuni VM's.

NWVCP (Northwest Vintage Cycle Parts "OEM Yamaha") shows a lot of carb parts available as well, but a little pricey.

Motorcyclecarbs.com that had a lot of info on Mikuni carbs also but they seem to have a lot of complaints waged against them right now for bad business dealings.

Might be interesting to throw that old carb in some cleaner just to see what remains. :eek:

My old 360 Yamaha MX bikes run strong. I don't think HP was a problem with the 250 either. The bike really just needs to loose some weight. It will be fun but heavy.

that one is pretty bad,I have seen stuff like come thru the shop,got to be careful to prevent breaking things like the pilot jet during disassembly,using some kind of carb dip from the auto parts store may help,watch for rubber parts you may need to reuse as that or any other carb cleaner don't like them
smitty

I saw that carparts.com listed on one another site that came up while searching. Located in Cleveland and stocks many of the parts.

Carb Parts is 15 minutes from where I work and I have been in there a dozen times dialing in the vintage bikes and RM144.

Carb parts Warehouse is a nice little diamond in the ruff. Been there a few times myself.

My old 360 Yamaha MX bikes run strong. I don't think HP was a problem with the 250 either. The bike really just needs to loose some weight. It will be fun but heavy.

Real nice MX360 for sale on Vintagemx.us for someone iching for vintage.
largephoto.cgi

That "NOT FOR AIRCRAFT USE" bowl sticker lasted for a good long time on one of my bikes.

Back