straight or progressive rate

zig917

Noob
shopping for heavier shock spring for 08 250sx and everyone pushes the progressive replacement. just wondering what the best choice is pros and cons of both? I ride woods and weigh 250 geared up

I'm not a guru-- but at 5'5 and 145-- I've always had suspension issues, and had to think about solutions. I'd prefer progressive for woods riding. I'd imagine that the ride would be more plush, and the softer initial rate would help eat up some annoying little bumps without you noticing that they were there. For MX or SX, where the soft initial rate would increase the speed that the shock compresses into the heavier rate-- I'd go with a secondary rate a little heavier than what's called for as to not blow through the available travel too quickly. Also-- If you're doing a progressive shock spring-- I'd do the same up front. I could see the rear squatting due to the soft initial rate, choppering the stance-- then making the steering weird.

If you are going to go the progressive rate you had better talk to a professional suspension company. The biggest problem with them is determining what the secondary rate will be but what people forget is WHEN do you want the secondary rate to start. You could have the correct rate but if it starts to soon or too late you will never get the suspension dialed in correctly.

In my opinion I would get the correct springs in a straight rate for your bike and your weight. Once you have tried getting it to work with the right spring and it doesnt help then get it revalved.

My husband had an 07 KTM 450 and got the suspension completely redone. He rides mx but our suspension guy suggested to get the progressive spring due to the KTM not having a linkage. The spring would help absorb the small chop where as the linkage helps with on a jap. bike. But like hershey said talked to a suspension company especially one that works on KTM as there suspension is different than the jap bikes.

Back