AHRMA Cross Country Questions

k01

PR Elite
Is the start dead engine? Scored from bike number plates or numbers on helmet?

Dead engine, scored via transponder taped to your helmet that is coded to match your assigned AHRMA CC race number.

Well, at least the start area at Action Sports slopes the right way for a vintage Husky start. A transponder just seems too modern for a vintage woods race!

Don't ask me how but, the scoring was screwed up at Diamond Dons, all 3 days.
Transponders are supposed to be pretty accurate.
On a side note, I loved the guys with kickers on the left side.
Watching some of them makes you want to give em a break!
If you can roll start it, great for you man!
So many of the old bikes were left hand kick, I would rather see a running engine start with your hand on your helmet.
That would be fair.
My elsinore started first kick at Gatorback and Diamond Dons.
I was the first in the woods both events, too bad I couldn't defend it in the woods!!!

No big hill there to bump start on, the start just slopes to the side so you can stand uphill of the kick starter.
I have a Yamaha that will start first kick but I'd like to ride the Husky. I'll really just be kind of riding around during the race so being off first won't be important however I'd hate to spend a good part of the session kicking. :eek:

Mark What year is the husky ?
I still have my 77 250 but don't ride/race it very much for the same reason.

61452-36crop.jpg

'74 WR 400 with some CR stuff. Action Sports is a great place for woods racing and I'm sure there will be some Husqvarnas moving fast there but it's doubtful mine will be one of them. Should be fun!

Looks good, raced mine in 77 and 78 then sold it.
The guy didn't ride it so I finally talked him into selling it back to me.
Now I can never sell it since I have had it all this time.

I can't remember you on a Husky back then , Tom . My 81 CR450 Honda was left kick and I remember a harescramble at the old Gran Prix Raceway . So many guys kept jumping the start that Steve Wagner made us go dead engine . The hill sloped the wrong way and I couldn't even get my foot on the kicker let alone start the bike . I turned the bike around , facing the opposite direction , and watched the flag over my shoulder . Fortunately it started on the first kick when the flag dropped , I leaped on , spun it around , and took off . There was so much chaos from bikes not starting and such that I actually got to the first turn about 10th ( out of almost 100 bikes ) and got 3rd in my class that day . Now I have a 75 Husky 250WR and an 84 Husky 500CR and both are , of course , left kickers .

halffast I raced husky's for most of a 15 year period
. Raced a 71 250cr , 77 250cr , 77 390cr 80 390cr , 83 430wr and some penton's and an Ossa mixed in. and 4 or 5 Yamaha's. Then mostly honda cr 250's and crf 450's for the next 25 years. Now my last 4 bikes have been KTM's and yes I have raced every year for 42 years now.

You on a Yamaha is what sticks in my mind but my memory , and quite a few other things , ain't what they used to be . Congrats on the 42 years and still going strong ! I've been on dirt bikes since about 1969 , racing since about '74 , but had a 21+ year " retirement " from about 1982 to 2003 . Old motocrossers never die ( but sometimes they might feel like they did ) !

Back