Rebuild, buy new, or go 2 stroke...

My CRF 450 sounds like it is losing a crank - again. I just had the stupid thing rebuilt last year. So, I am looking at options: rebuild, buy a new, or get a 2 stroke. I love the 450 power but a 2 stroke is looking pretty good right now. Or, maybe I should just buy new every year. Thoughts?

buy new every year if u can man, that way the bikes dont loose too much value and you can just scoop a new one next year when u get rid of it!

I do all work to my own bike, ie rebuilds, forks and everything else. If I didn't do it myself I would be buying new bikes.

personally I'd go two stroke ! I still have my 125 and hands down have more fun riding it than my 450. 2 strokes are more fun, the power to weight ratio is FAR better, they are cheaper to buy, much cheaper to maintain and there is nothing better than beating a 4 stroke on one !

At Smith Rd. this past week I rode my RM144 for a while before Joe'Show came to ride it. Then I rode Sharc's YZ153 for a bit, then Todd Sinclairs' RM250, then Sharcs' YZ250. After all of that I asked the question -- what the heck are we all doing on these heavy 4 strokes anyway? But then after exhausting all the 2-strokes in the nearby area I jumped on my RMZ450 and loved it and had fun on it!

I think I will always be destined to have one pig thumper, and also a few 2-strokes for fun.

250 2 Stroker....
Maybe it's not your crank did you just rebuild the crank or did you replace the main bearings and upper rod bearing as well? Most misconceptions about a bad bottom end is that they would be hard to start or you could hear them knock. The second is more true than the first as I have had a 125 that needed a crank rebuild bad but kicked over great. You could probably pull the cylinder and head and check to see if everything is within tolerance. But regardless if you do decide to buy a 2 stroker I may be interested in picking up your 450 when you blow it up. I've got no need for my 2 parts bikes when I have yet to replace a mechanical or cosmetic part on my CR250. I've basically got everything to build another 2 bikes except a set of wheels and a frame for one. I'd say go out and do both...get the new YZ250...then go blow up your 450...and sell to me!

At Smith Rd. this past week I rode my RM144 for a while before Joe'Show came to ride it. Then I rode Sharc's YZ153 for a bit, then Todd Sinclairs' RM250, then Sharcs' YZ250. After all of that I asked the question -- what the heck are we all doing on these heavy 4 strokes anyway? But then after exhausting all the 2-strokes in the nearby area I jumped on my RMZ450 and loved it and had fun on it!

I think I will always be destined to have one pig thumper, and also a few 2-strokes for fun.

I'm with Pit on this one. I have a blast riding 2 strokes...even my 250f. Problem is, at races, I stand no chance of being competitive in the Vet classes I run. I know from experience, as last year was able to qualify for Loretta Lynns on a YZ250 2 stroker. Once down there, the 4 strokes tore me up. If I made any mistakes in corners, I was not able to recover on straights as the 450's just pulled away. Made for 3 very frustrating races that week.

So, if you have the cash, have a 2 stroke laying around to play on, but if you plan on racing, the 450 is the only way to go!

I have parted with all my 2 strokes and am thinking about the same for my 250f. Looks like I just need a 450, or maybe a 2nd one, for now!

If the Bike was getting some age on it and you have to pay someone else to fix, you would probably be better of to cut you losses, If you can pick up a Bottom end or better yet, an entire engine on Ebay or something you might be better off. Saving Both money and labor with a simple swap. Guess it's sort of a personal choice really. I know not much help am I. LOL!!!

Thanks!

Guys, thanks for all of the help! Dr. Parma Dave will assess the situation tomorrow. I think the problem may be in the cam chain or something like that. However, I like the idea of picking up the 2 stroke. I rode an RM 125 all last summer and loved it - great for conditioning. As pit said - why are we on these pigs? It is simple, 4 strokes make life a lot easier! But, when I had my whipped 99 KX 250 I never worried about it being dirty etc. On the flip side - A new bike every year is cool too. Dr. Dave's assessment will dictate my decision! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Buy a 250 2 stroke then call eric gorr, All I can say abut mine after his motor work, pc exhaust, v-force reeds and a flywheel weight is super easy to ride and more power than I will ever need.

If it was me, and my CRF450 was about to blow, I'd be looking for a CR500 motor to put in it!!!!!!!!! Trust me. You love it!

If it was me, and my CRF450 was about to blow, I'd be looking for a CR500 motor to put in it!!!!!!!!! Trust me. You love it!

....or KX450f, I'd be looking for a KX500 motor to put in it...Oh wait, that's me! ;) Well, minus the motor getting ready to blow...at least best I know. Hoping I can sell that running to get the KX500 motor when I'm ready.

Still need a new KX450f before that can happen. I race the KX450f, play on the 2 stroke. Depending, the KX500AF might be the dune machine while the KX250AF would be the trail/track play bike...yes, I'm a dreamer....they do come true....

I could never give up the pig at this point...if I plan to race, but I do miss the light feel and cheaper maintainence costs of my 250 aringadingdinger....

Back