Nikon D40x D60 and D3000

MX724

PR Addict
Anyone have experience with any of these. Ddebating between a few models. Trying to find a slightly used one for sale. IF anyone is looking to get rid of one of the above pm me! Thanks.

I would pick up a D3000, take any lens that mite come with the deal.
Buy a AF-S DX Nikkon 35mm F/1.8G lens $200 new. At that price it's a DEAL.
Put this lens on and do not take it off for 6 months.
That lens will make you work your buttt off. With 10 mp you should be able to crop your pictures.
The lens makes the camera, go pro glass if you can, resale of pro lens are great. 70-200

I saw quite a few d40x pics and a d60. Those two can be bought over on amazon with an 18-55mm lense. Then I also see a few kits with the 55-200mm lense as well. Have not seen the specific one you mentioned. Whats the deal with that lense? Why do you say the d3000 over the d40x and d60? What are the key differences? This will primarily be for moto. Also how do you deal with all the dusty conditions at tracks? I assume there is some sort of maintence or cleaning required? Any details are helpful. Thanks Rich!

The D3000 is the newer version of D40/60 I believe. The D3100 is the current version of the entry level DSLR. It has far better high ISO resolution than any of the other three older cameras. I have the D3000 and it does great outdoors, but struggles in low light conditions. My experience is you need a zoom up to 200mm to get some decent pics in action situations. Of course you can get it with less zoom if you are up close, but I end up shooting a lot between 100 and 150mm when I am outdoors shooting action. You can get by with an inexpensive $200 zoom, but the pictures can be far better with a good 70-200mm like the Tamron F2.8. The problem is that lens costs more than the camera body. The kit lens is worthless for outdoors IMO. Here is link to my site will all the pics I've taken with my D3000. www.freestylephoto.smugmug.com. Check out the motorcycle gallery to see some examples of moto pics. Hope that helps! Chris

Ok. All good things to know. So it seems like my best bet would be to get the body and that lense or similar. The most Ive delt with was the D40x and I thought the pictures were great. However the photog couldnt recall the lense that was used that day. Those shots were a bit closer too. I have some from beans that were amazing quality so that was kind of my standard starting point. Its wierd that the d3000 is actually cheaper on amazon then the D40x and D60. Do you think the 18-55 is poor quality for moto if you in that range?

I was also thinking about the d90 because it has video....any thoughts on what models have the video? It appears that the d90 is the entry level slr that has video?

Bought a Nikon 3100 on Black Friday last year and the camera is awesome! It is so easy to use too! My boy can take pictures of me no problems! Just pick a mode, point and shoot. the camera does all of it. You can set it up like a conventional camera and override all aspects, but heck this camera is so easy to use! It will crop pictures, add effects, etc, right on the camera. It also does Hi-Def video. Just buy a couple of cards and take as many pictures as you can. Get ride of the ones you don't like. I usually just point, shoot about six or 8 frames and BAM! Somewhere in there is a good picture!

I originally bought this camera to replace my wifes Pentax D10 digital, but this 3100 is so easy to use.....

I did buy another lens for the camera I think it is a Nikon 70-200 and that is what I use.

Black Friday price for two lenses (Nikon)18-55,70-200 and bag with one card was 780 dollars

Rich had helped my wife with her D10, but after talking to him, I decided to get a Nikon camera. It is pretty good! Thanks Rich!!

Here is a picture my boy clicked off with no experience. It is so easy to use.

DSC_0373-1.jpg

Ive also been looking into a few that do the video as well. It appears (correct me if Im wrong here0 that the D90 is the first in the series that offers video. I was actually looking at the D90 and D3100 in terms of video. The more I start to think about it Id like to have both. ANy insight on either of these models or another model that would have similar features?

Back