2012 ktm 150

KTM221

PR Addict
I had a 2001 KTM 250SX that almost killed me (and Jeremy McGrath). I gave the brand another shot and bought a 2004 KTM 450SX. It didn't work for me either. Since then I've been as anti-KTM as they come. However, I have to admit... this bike would almost be enough to bring me back to the brand. A 150cc 2-stroke with linkage!!! I could stare at this all night! Put some Ohlins on this and maybe.....

http://www.ktm.com/us/mx/150-sx.html

Not to mess with the 150 thread cause that bike is sweeeet, but they finally put electric start on the 250f. I found my next bike. :)

The more I look at the KTMs I like them too. Maybe because Matthew is riding them, they are growing on me. I would consider getting a new 450.

Interesting that they put the linkage on the 2-strokes. I remember when the marketing came out for the 2011 models there were statements about how the no-link suspension worked better with 2 strokes, etc, etc. Why couldn't they just have stated what we all knew --- "we are putting linkage on the 4 strokes to see if they sell better. If that happens the rest of the bikes will get linkage too!" haha

Anyway, that is a killer looking bike. I'd love to get one.

Marketing geniuses at work........... Honda tells you one year that one radiator is better cooling and more capacity, and the following year when they go back to 2 radiators, it's for more flow and ease of maintenance..............

They did mention that the linkage worked better on SX type obstacles and since the 2 strokes weren't destined for the SX track that they would be better served without the linkage. I guess you get SX type obstacles more this year than last year!

52009_450_500_EXC-F_engine_3803.jpgWhy didn't KTM put the new 450 motor in the sx model? Its supposed to be 6 lbs lighter!450exc2012_4256.jpg

The "new" 450 motor has already been in the SX model for 2 years. The off road models get those things a couple of years later. The SX model has had the DOHC motor for a while, the XC line has had a SOHC engine up until 2012.

When someone makes a direct injection 2 stroke I will buy a new one. Until then I will race the 06 yz 250, besides the longer I own it the more time and money I can put into it to suit me. Although at this point I think putting anymore money into it would be purely for the sake of putting more money into it, lol.

I had a 2003 250SX, a good friend still has his 04 250SX. Both were / are stone stock and are the fastest 250s I have ridden. Ever. FWIW, I spent a summer on Mark Burkhart's PC built 97 CR250 and Todd DeHoop's PC 95 CR250. The pumpkins would eat those alive.

Most of KTM's HP advantage comes from the no link design. The rear shock is not in the centerline of the bike. By moving it to one side, the engine breathes more efficiently. Yamaha does this too, but to a lesser extent. I am curious to see how far off center the KTM linkage is located.

Back