How about a Log Road report ?

halffast

PR Elite
Track conditions , turnout , results ? Come on guys , I have to experience it vicariously through you since it looks like my group is going to sit out racing this year due to injuries , bike issues , economy , etc. .

As has been the case for the last few years, the Log Road crew had a great track waiting for the few souls that managed to make it to Coldwater.

During the three days that I was there, the sun was shining through big puffy white clouds and there was little wind. Temps stayed in the mid 70s, low 80s and very little humidity.

When I arrived early Friday afternoon. The soil was already wet from a previous rain but that moisture served well because the workers expertly groomed it into that sandy/loamy mix that we all prefer.

Only a little rain fell during the weekend, and that began a couple of hours after the VMX races on Saturday and continued through till before daybreak on Sunday. It was only a periodic drizzle, really, and was the perfect amount to make for another mud/dust free day on Sunday.

Turnout was exceeding light. Sad. In spite of that, I think most all present were glad they came once they got to ride on the track. Every gate had a disparate mix of classes, but the Log Road folks ensured that all would be compatible together.

Personally, I didn't fair too well.

On Saturday, my CZ clutch had issues, so I never even practiced on it. Instead, I took it to Henri Gref's pits and left it all day in his capable hands.

I ended up racing Keith Boyd's CZ in the 50+ and Sportsman 500 classes. I had the usual brief flashes of brilliance but they were overcome by a heavy measure of bone-headedness. Falling over in snail's pace sections, stalling the motor in turns, and daydreaming kept me from beating the one or two other guys I was dealing with.

At least Henri fixed my own bike so I'll get to ride it at Lake Sugar Tree in a few days.

Sunday, much of the same bone-headedness on my Suzukis. This time it included running out of fuel while running 2nd (yeah, it was also last) in the Ultima 250 class, just as I passed the white flag. Similar to the previous day, tip-overs and miscalculations kept me from getting a trophy in the +50 class as well.

I had entered the 500 Ultima class too, but I ended up loaning that bike to a 60+ Novice who blew a crank seal on his Honda 480 in practice.

I doubt if an National at Log Road will be on the AHRMA schedule come next year. It's undoubtedly not due to the facility or it's people. And it's not because guys don't want to go. I know that I am in a minority, because I'm retired, the "kids" are grown, my wife approves, and I'm able to take the time and afford the expense, barely.

But, even though I've been doubling up with others this last trip to Michigan was really costly, and it has me rethinking a few priorities. I think I can see on the horizon that the end of my four year vintage racing era is coming to a close. Just not yet. Hopefully I'll see a few of you guys in Virginia this coming weekend.

Thanks , Karl . Bummer about your luck ( Henri is a CZ wizard isn't he ?) but I know you had a great track to race on . Log road is a close 2nd to my favorite track at Casey , IL . NOBODY has done better track prep than the Log Road crew , anywhere I have been and it would be a travesty if AHRMA were to lose that venue . I hope they hang in there at least one more year . Since we are kind of sitting this season out , I'm looking to be better prepared next year and make a concerted effort to attend every possible event . Hopefully the economy / job market will improve , gas will be cheaper , and more racers will decide to compete .

Log road is a very nice track for a Ahrma national and there were only 62 entrys and that is sad. There was no one from Northeast Ohio that I know of besides myself and Jeff Vlk. Without any support from the supposed local Ahrma members I could see why Ahrma would fold up shop. The cost for this past weekend was 65.00 entry fee , 15.00 gate fee , 200.00 gas , 44.00 turnpike tolls , 100.00 hotel room , 30.00 support class entry fee, 50.00/65.00 food , 26.00 for 3 gallons cam2 , and as we all know the cost of the bike and all that it requires to get ready for a race so $500.00 for a 7 hr drive to race 4 guy's in 1 class and 0 in another class I may have to rethink it's value also Tom

I'm very real about the causes, I keep up on the news on the economy and we live very conservatively because of job in-security. I've been spending spare cash on my vintage machine parts instead of buying a newer modern bike, so I pray that this slump fades over the rest of 2011 and through next couple of years. I joined AHRMA last year and we are slowly positioning ourselves so that at some point we could travel to races. Just can't do it right now. I really dig vintage motocross and I don't want to see it decline or phase out.

Maybe and hopefully, if AHRMA and other vintage racing groups do begin to get into trouble, they exercise some leadership thinking, change the strategy and find a way to march on.

I'm thinking about trying to follow the AHRMA PV Nationals next year in 2012. Seems like yesterday I was chasing them around the country but that was 2 seasons ago now in 2009! Just too much trying to do both modern Loretta Lynn's qualifiers and PV in the same year.

Jack will be 16 next year. He has a 125 and a 250 ready to go. His maiden voyage will be mid-ohio. His quest for Lorrettas will be quenched this year I think...leaving lots of time for AHRMA in the future. I hope it is as exciting when we get to next year.

Sorry I missed you Karl.
My trip to DD was expensive.
I am also swamped with work.
I didn't go to either Devils Ridge or Lake Sugartree and they're both in my back yard.
I simply couldn't take my eye off the work ball long enough to get truly ready.
I am gonna try to do those 2 and WV next year though. Tony

Back