Lake Sugar Tree

mx049

PR Elite
Anyony going to Lake Sugar Tree this weekend?
We are out but always wanted to race that track & bet the Professor will put on a good show!

I'll be going there along with Bob Adams and Keith Boyd. Another light turnout expected, but perhaps a bit better than Log Road.

Entries are up on the AHRMA site and it looks like a few more did sign up . This should be a fun event . I went to Gary Bailey's MX school there in '81 and had a blast ! Loved the track .

From AHRMA Online...

05/20/11
AHRMA Off Road RacersJust in from Tom Boyd about Lake Sugar Tree
"I visited Gary Bailey earlier today and made a lap around the track that we will ride for next weekend's AHRMA vintage and PV national.
I am very pleased to announce that Gary has put together a truly vintage friendly track for us. There are no double jumps or triple jumps. It is truly old school lake sugar tree, it is long, and it is technical. We also discussed track prep, he is not going to cut the track deep so that you have to skip practice to avoid the slop.
He is trying to make this a fun day for all vintage riders. Gary is excited about the get together and is having a party with videos, food beer and bench racing a plenty Saturday evening.
Please try to attend, as these events are not profit machines and if we don't show up, they will stop happening..."

I watched all 3 days on their 3 webcams.
From what I could see, the track looked great, probably the truest old school track I've ever seen.
Didn't see a lot of dust and Gary doesn't drop the discs in deep so there didn't appear to be massive ruts like Devils Ridge usually has.
I know some of my friends were there, I saw them!
Karl Poindexter was there I think, maybe he'll chime in.

It was fantastic in all regards.

As we arrived and pulled in the long, wide paved drive up to the entry trailer, I could tell things were gonna be different. We were met at the gate by a beauty of a raven haired babe with a big smile. After taking my money she gave me a goodie bag of stickers and local motel and business discount stuff. Then, she personally attached the red plastic band to my wrist. I was smitten. Plus, I got 20% additional off from the Quality Inn that I had already reserved. And, to add to the savings, gas prices in the area were in the $3.47 range.

The multi-level main building looked like the Taj Mahal sitting up on the hill. Concessions were whipped up in a restaurant quality kitchen, the bath and showers were air-conditioned, and one could view the entire track from a second level viewing platform. Nice.

Two distinctly separate pit areas are available. To the left, we could have gone into a huge grassy field on rolling terrain. We went right, into the wooded area, shaded by mature tall pines and spruces. Most, I think chose that side. I was convinced on Friday that there were more people showing up than the pre-entry lists had indicated. Indeed, I remember hearing that the final rider entry tally was a bit over 100 for Saturday and 135-140 for Sunday.

A bass fishing contest was available in the big on-site lake. Later on Friday, the loudspeakers announced the formation of a Texas Hold-em Poker tournament with a $20 buy-in for all interested persons. That's a couple of things not normally seen at the motocross track, correct?

They didn't use the typical round sticker on the front number plate to indicate that you had been through tech inspection. Instead, we used "Lake Sugar Tree" stickers on which was a place to write the make, model, cc and year of your bike. Gary Bailey explained that while admiring all the bikes, he liked to be able to tell what was what. Good idea.

The track was superb for both days. It flows really well with lots of elevation changes and is perhaps a mile, maybe a bit more. It had loads of table tops where you could sail if you wanted, or not. I heard absolutely nobody have anything to say beyond praise.

For the post-vintage day, they lengthened it a bit and added a few moderate doubles for those that wanted to do them. There was even one that could be considered a triple if you forgot to touch your brakes at it every other lap, like I did. Not a speck of dust could be found, and dang little mud. Traction everywhere and virtually no ruts. Amazing really, in that it always looked wet. The soil is that red clay color, but has a lot of silica in it, which makes it reflect light and shine like trillions of tiny diamonds. But, it wasn't really sandy to the touch. Personally, I've never ridden on that kinda surface before.

Vintage racing was loads of fun. There was plenty of action in that each gate had a good number of racers on it. Of course, some were mixed classes. In the 50+ Expert class, I couldn't keep the same pace that Glen Romero of Louisiana had going, but I was easily in contention for second overall. I woulda got it too, if I hadn't pulled off the track in the first moto when the white flag was displayed. Through my dirty goggles, it looked like checkers to me! A couple of guys zipped past, I realized my error and gave chase, but was too late. 2nd place in the 2nd moto gave me a 3rd overall. I got 2nd overall in the Sportsman 500 class behind Tom Boyd of NC, but then again, it was also last place.

After the races, we all pit-biked, race biked, loaded up in trucks or walked a half-mile or so to Gary Baileys home. There, we were greeted like old friends and were allowed to mix and mingle and browse through his fantastic barn/museum filled with thousands of historic and contemporary MX stuff. Even his workshop and tools were part of the display. Primo stuff, all of it.

Lots of tables and chairs had been set up between the house and museum, and all were treated to free drinks (yep, free beer too) and eats. No chips and salsa here...nope. Instead, a buffet set up with fresh choices which rivaled anything I've enjoyed at Diamond Don's. Plus, lots of cookies for dessert.

It was at the dinner when the day's race trophies were handed out. Gary made a big deal of it. Winners had to stand on a podium, flanked by 2nd and 3rd (if there was a 2nd and 3rd). The compulsory picture was taken while the winner shook Gary's hand. Some of the pics ended up in the local Martinsville newspaper the next morning.

Trophy winners also got a hat, a cool commemorative button, and a Lake Sugar Tree decal. The trophies themselves were a marblesque plaque with a sepia toned face to give a neat retro look. Just like the faded black and white photos which was all that was available in the 60's when he was racing, remarked Professor Bailey. Even the fishing contest winner got a trophy for his exploits.

I raced +50 and Ultima 250 classes on Sunday. Ten riders lined up for the +50 Expert gate. I got 2nd behind Wayne Boyd of NC on his RM465 in the first moto. Early in the first lap of the next moto, I fell in a tight corner while trying to get under Wayne, and Rhett Smith on his Maico. I got up in a hurry, and figured I was still in it, but my entire right grip and throttle housing had been pulled off the handlebar. Bummer.

The Ultima 250 class had a number of hotshoes, especially a youngster from Florida and Oscar Gaetan from Canada (although he now is living down here in western KY). There was a former KTM factory dude who gave me fits.....on a trick HODAKA 250! Laugh if you wanna, but that guy could make it go. As a matter of fact, he traded close moto wins with Mark Stahlman on his Bultaco while riding that same Hodaka, taillight and all, in the Historic 250 class.

Guys, this really was a great place for racing. It was very, very good.

Every single track worker went out of their way to make us feel welcome. When I fell, for instance, I had no sooner got up and realized that I was done when a couple of workers showed up in a 4-wheeler to ensure that I was okay. Then, they produced a tow strap and took me back to my pits. The track manager repeatedly made it clear to everyone that they want to be on the AHRMA schedule again next year. I can only hope to do my part through word of mouth to help ensure that it is, and that next year we'll have trouble finding space in the pits to park.

To get a better visual idea of the track, browse through some of the photos here: http://www.rsp.exposuremanager.com/

Thanks for the info Karl.
I could tell by looking at it on the webcam it would be a great time.
Gary is a class act.
He's probably the only hero from my youth that I've met that is even better than I imagined.
I've talked with him several times and it always comes back to the first time I saw him race in St Pete back in '73.
He seemed larger than life back then.
Anyway, I'm gonna be better prepared for next year.
In the meantime, it's only an hour from my house so I'll probably be up there to ride some on the weekends. Tony

Great Report Karl!!!!
Thanks a ton, that was fun reading…sounds awesome!
I may have to keep a shopping cart in the garage just to experience this..

"I know some of my friends were there, I saw them!"

Man, that's a little bit creepy that you were able to do that with the website cameras!

Yeah!
One camera was right behind Stahlmans pit!
I was looking right in his trailer.
The cameras have remote capability and can be rotated and zoomed.
I watched my buddy Bob Lee and the rest of the guys during the training session on friday too.

http://www.lakesugartree.com/

I don't use the camera controls, they're too extreme.
If you want to move the camera just a little put your cursor on the screen itself and press enter.
btw-I really loved watching that section before the finish line, it looked like a LOT of fun.

I watch a lot of stuff from my laptop, go to the archive here.
http://www.allisports.com/motocross

Karl,

Wish we were there & thanks as your report made me feel like we almost were.

Sounds like you are holding your own with that Black Stripe!

Maico Mark

Cool looking track! Looks really fast. Too bad that guy ruined that vid by putting the music in there....

Back