cutting out the airfilter screen?

dozer

PR Addict
what does everyone think of cutting out the backfire screen in the airbox. i've got an 07 kx 450. i ordered no toil fireproof airfilter n cage kit for it. i know its there to keep the filter from melting but with the new filter i should be ok. has anyone done this and i should get a little more topend right?

I have never kept the screen in any of my 4 stks without any problems. It is supposed to increase airflow but I cant say I could tell any difference.

Funny that this was posted now. I was just cleaning filters last night and was looking at that screen and thinking about cutting it out. I think for my case though it would be easier to just get another RM125/250 filter cage since they are exactly the same, minus the screen.

i saw that ppl were swapping the ktm 2 stroke ones in the 350 too because the cage started to come off on its own... thought about just cutting mine out before that happened but cant imagine id notice anything too crazy so for now ill just leave it in i guess unless it starts to tear off?

Yeah on the KTM's you can swap out a two stroke cage. But on my 450, I did cut out the screen, and I could feel the bike had a little more snap. Better throttle response is about it. I liked it. And I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I've had it like this for a couple years with no issues at all with the filter. Do it.

Took the cage out of my rmz 250 and my crf and never had any problems. Do these things actually backfire? I never had it happen.

I think i've noticed my 05 crf 450 backfire a handful of times in all of its 48 hours of seat time. I kept the screen in, if I still had it I might take it out to test the throttle response theory...

I have the NoToil superflo kit on my bike, and it was a great investment. Well..actually I got it through parts testing, but it still doesn't change my opinion. I could say it adds a horsepower or two throughout the whole power band, but thats not what impressed me. The diffrence in throttle response makes it pristine, expecially in carbureted bikes. It fires easier, expecially on a hot start and picks up off of low RPMs fast and steady. You won't be disappointed.

Yeah, Ok…..so we don’t need a backfire screen….
Next we'll be tearing off the “DO NOT REMOVE” tags from our mattresses…….
Oh the anguish !!!!

I took out the whole screen on my 09 kx250f. I'm not sure if '07s are made the same way, but I took off my airboot to take the entire screen out instead of just cutting it out(since my screen isn't part of the filter cage itself). I sealed it back up with a loudmouth airboot seal($10, they make them for kxfs to be used in conjunction with their filter kit) and put a twinair backfire resistant filter on and it has very noticeable power gains. And its a real clean set up. I usually don't notice many mods actually working like this did. I think the kxf screens are more restricting vs. other brands cause I put a powerflow kit on my yz250f and noticed pretty much nothing.

Back