Bike Break In

Picked up a new 2011 Kawasaki kx250f and been a long time since i got a new bike gonna break it in tommorow and wondering if anyone has any advice/suggestions for the best break in. i know theres MANY different ways to break a bike in. Just looking for opinions. thanks :)

Well I have heard a rumor and hopefully that is all it is, at the factory after a engine is assembled they put it strait on a dyno and do a full throttle run to make sure it makes the appropriate power. However I usually start the bike let it idle until it gets warm and shut it down till it is cool, then start and ride it never let it go past the bottom of the rpm range then let it cool, then start and ride and go no higher than mid range and let it cool, then start it and ride it normally. Maybe too cautious but I have never had any problems with any bike in 17 years doing this.

Take it easy on it for a few to let the rings set in, that is the only reason for break in. After that ride as normal, never had a problem doing it this way.

the above rumor is close to the truth.....

Well I have heard a rumor and hopefully that is all it is, at the factory after a engine is assembled they put it strait on a dyno and do a full throttle run to make sure it makes the appropriate power. However I usually start the bike let it idle until it gets warm and shut it down till it is cool, then start and ride it never let it go past the bottom of the rpm range then let it cool, then start and ride and go no higher than mid range and let it cool, then start it and ride it normally. Maybe too cautious but I have never had any problems with any bike in 17 years doing this.

ive always done pretty much that. let it warm up, cool it down. take it out go through a few gears low rpm.. let it cool.... take it out go a little harder but still not beating on it, cool down.. then go. never had a problem. maybe too cautious but better safe than sorry !!

I've been told you only get one shot to get those rings seated, and that's why the factory takes it to full power after assemsbly.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions/opinions. I did pretty much what most of you said idled the bike for 15 min. cooled fully. rode rolling through the low gears at low rpms. cooled. rode rolling through gears at mid range. probably gonna do one more mid range ride today just to be safe then gonna change all fluids right after and the ride it normally. I do kno one thing, cant wait to get out to a track with it and actually open it up....got a tiny yard with a lil figure 8 in it, which aint that exciting on a new bike...lol

Back