Any ideas on what would cause this?

sdjclevland

PR Addict
Took some pics of my clutch to get a better look at it and noticed my hub is all scratched and scraped up and on one part of it there looks to be a chunk missing. Any ideas?
hub.jpg

Well for starters I dont see a missing piece per say but the notches are from wear and tear....... and if you fan the clutch a lot that can also contribute to the wearing of the basket tongues. Its also important to make sure your clutch cable is properly adjusted. Should be able to fit a quarter rougly between your lever and perch. The other odd thing I notice here is that the washer behind the main nut does not seem to be folded over the nut as it should be. Maybe it is and I just cant see it?

That basket looks like its taken a little more then the average abuse to me but then again It depends on how old the bike is and how its been maintained. Could be several factors taking place. How does it effect the ride? PDR is great and tracing these things back to the original cause. I always like to know what cause the problem before I fix the problem...otherwise it may happen all over again!

Thanks. Yeah the washer is on there right good eye though. And I am working on replacing the basket. I was really wondering about the inner hub more than the basket. The hub has a buch of scratches and scrapes on it If you look at the last and first pic.

The dark square looking marks on the inner hub are normal from the metal clutch plates moving. The bright shiny long scratches and the edges that look like they are rounded off or broken are bad news. It looks like something went through the motor and rubbed/broke it. Look to see that all the teeth are on your metal plates. You really need to check the motor and transmission to make sure nothing has broken and put pieces in the motor. Were there alot of metal specs or flakes in the oil when you drained it ?

No never any metal that j saw. I am thinking the bike was like this when I bought it already I am guessing. I am gonna drain the oil though to double check but I have never seen anything

Assuming that it's a 2 stroke 125, I'd say that's par for the course. The only thing that seems worse than normal are the little chips in the tongues. the grooves are normal. --Tony C.

Back