4-stroke OEM Crank vs Aftermarket

Sxf622

PR Member
I am getting ready to replace the bottom end in my 07 KTM 250f. I would love to go OEM but the price difference of OEM compared to aftermarket is about $300.00 and thats just the crank alone. If I could get the bottom end together for a $1000 less then there's no doubt I would. But I'm not sure if I trust the aftermarket, and I would like for it to last and not rebuild in 20 hours.

Has anyone had issues with aftermarket crank shafts (i.e Hotrods or Wiseco)? What would the 4-stroke owners suggest? Just looking for any feedback, so I can get my bike up and running and ride as soon as i can.

I'd go with Wiseco. Local Ohio company and they stand behind their products. I've used Wiseco products for as long as I've been riding.

I agree with Pit, been using Wiseco products for over 26 years and they work well. Have used there cranks before and they are equal to OEM. Call 1-800-321-1364 and ask for Chris Bollinger tell him your a Pitracer regular and he will treat you right.

I have to disagree with both ^^^! I always go OEM. I'd say that you'd have to evaluate the difference in cost in terms of how long you plan on keeping the bike, and how often you ride it. If it took you from 2007 til now to wear out the bottom end-- then the $1000 extra the OEM stuff would cost equals only $250 per year at that rate of riding time. AND... if you decide to sell the bike in a year or two-- it would be worth more to a buyer with the OEM parts in the bottom end (assuming that you would disclose the aftermarket parts to the buyer) rather than aftermarket.

I'd see what Powroll sells for your bike-- they're good with cranks. If you go with a Wiseco, or Powroll crank-- you may be able to get it balanced also for less than the OEM crank. That would be a slight upgrade, as a balanced crank seems to last longer. ---Tony C.

Back