Pre-mix oil talk

NQ1965

PR Elite
My riding buddy has a new KTM150 and was told by the dealer for pre-mix to run Amsoil @ 50:1.
Does this sound right to you guys?

Many of the oils these days state 50:1.

I still can't bring myself to do that though.....like Sharc I run 40:1 but with Klotz.

50:1 seems pretty crazy to me.. idk. I always was told 32:1 growing up so I continued to run that... i'd rather be on the safe side!! I know a lot of people doing 40:1 too though.

50:1 is fine. Thats all I've run since I started riding. A YZ 125 with MC1 @ 50:1 then ditched that for Maxima SuperM @50:1, ran it in my 125, KDX 200 and still to this day in my 500. What does the manual recommend?

Sounds about right for Synthetic or semi-synthetic Premix oils, You are able to run a little lighter ratio (more gas to oil) such as the suggested 50 parts gas to 1 part oil.

Personally I prefer to stay on the Heavier side 40:1 as someone else stated above. I would rather change an oil fouled plug once in a while, as apposed to a crank, or something due to lack of oil.

*** Remember this is for SYNTHETICS only, If you are using the regular 2 stroke oil then stay with the heavier mix 32:1 ratio. which is 32 parts gas to 1 part oil.

What does the manual recommend?

He's a good friend so I poke fun at him. I asked him that very question one time on another issue on another of his bikes..........he looked at me with his head tilted sideways like a confused puppy dog. End of discussion!

All Amsoil 2 cycle oils are 50:1 mix (3 different ones). They even have a 100:1 mix for chainsaws and small engine 2 strokes.

My smoker burns Maxima k2 at 32:1, and before K2 was invented, it was Castor 927 at 32:1. I dont even mix the weedeater gas at 50:1. I would entertain 40:1, if I were sponsored by a piston and ring manufacturer, lol.

per the Maxima Oils website:

Recommended Premix Ratios
50-80cc (24-32:1) | 125cc (24-40:1) | 250cc (24-40:1) | 500cc and up (32-60:1)

For the 150 I'm sure anywhere from 32:1 to 40:1 would be fine, just get the jetting sorted out and stick with whatever he decides on. I think I can get away with 50:1 in the 500 cause its not running at the higher rpms as much as the 125, 150s, etc. My jetting was done with 93 octane pump fuel and Maxima SuperM 50:1, the plug has good color and the engine runs just fine. Also, the weed eater and everything all run 50:1, I just use the fuel from my dirtbike can.

This has been some interesting feedback, with a variety of views and experiences.

One thing that he and I both noticed was that in stock form, untouched, the bike sounded a little lean off the bottom, not that the oil has any bearing on. We were both questioning on the air screw adjustment. Mid-to-upper range bike sounded very healthy and it pulled great. It would be a little more reassuring if it smoked a bit more though.

I recall reading in Motocross action mag at one time that for all of their 2 stroke test bikes, that they keep, test, and race every weekend for a year before returning, that they would run 40:1 using Yamalube.

All Amsoil 2 cycle oils are 50:1 mix (3 different ones). They even have a 100:1 mix for chainsaws and small engine 2 strokes.

I wonder how they can assure that at 50:1, for all bikes, in varied conditions and environments that this is sufficient lubrication?

I wonder how they can assure that at 50:1, for all bikes, in varied conditions and environments that this is sufficient lubrication?

Because of the film strength of the oil and the lubrication it provides in the amount of oil in that film.

I used to run MC-1 at 50:1 and never had any lube problems. I switched because it got harder to find and at 50:1 it actually was gumming up power valves.

And .... The amount of oil you run will most certainly affect the fuel mixture of the bike. The less oil you run the more fuel you have per measure of premix making the bike run richer. So a bike running 32:1 ratio will run leaner than if it were running a 50:1 ratio

Because of the film strength of the oil and the lubrication it provides in the amount of oil in that film.

I used to run MC-1 at 50:1 and never had any lube problems. I switched because it got harder to find and at 50:1 it actually was gumming up power valves.

And .... The amount of oil you run will most certainly affect the fuel mixture of the bike. The less oil you run the more fuel you have per measure of premix making the bike run richer. So a bike running 32:1 ratio will run leaner than if it were running a 50:1 ratio

Huh? 32:1 has 4 ounces of oil per gallon of gas. 50:1 has 2.56 ounces of oil per gallon of gas. Assuming the you're getting the same amount of air between the two different ratios, how can the one with more oil be leaner?

Huh? 32:1 has 4 ounces of oil per gallon of gas. 50:1 has 2.56 ounces of oil per gallon of gas. Assuming the you're getting the same amount of air between the two different ratios, how can the one with more oil be leaner?

Because adding oil to gas creates more total volume of fuel but less of it is gas depending on the mixture ratio.

Back