2 stroke or 4?

R

ralston829ktm

Im stuck not sure if I want to go KTM 250 2-stroke or KTM 450? What do u guys think.

And the debate rages forth......

It all depends on what you are most comfortable with. Personally I enjoy riding a 125 2 stroke much more than a 450 4 stroke. I ride one much better. But also I would rather ride a 450 than a 250 2 stroke because it is much smoother and easier for me. The key though is what works best for YOU.

Now maintenance wise the 450 has been less expensive. I have a YZ450F and I bought it new in the end of 08. I put a top end in it last winter because I havent done it yet. I had one valve barely out of adjustment. The other bike I do top ends in twice a year. Yamahas seem to be the most reliable, but they all have horror stories out there

Find a KTM ride day, you can't beat test riding every bike back to back to see what you like. I am a 450 fan myself, low rpm high torque!

i would say it depends on how much power you want. If i rode both track and woods i would condisider the two sttoke. Are you buying 2012? Ive rode both just for like 5 minutes and the 450 scared me a little less even though it has more power and felt smooth. The 250 2t i rode scared me, i hardly touched the thrttle and that thing was movin lol.

i love my 450! maintenance wise the bikes been awesome its an 06 CRF450 that i bought brand new the valves went out of spec the fall of 07,replaced them with Faction MX stainless valves and a JE 13.5 to 1 piston now the topend has 106hrs on it since the rebuild,starts 1st or 2nd kick and runs super! i also just replaced the original clutch this past winter cause the basket was grooved

450's really did let me go faster than I can on a two stroke. But I also was not ready for things to get squirrely at my new speed and got injured alot. I went back to a 250 2T and have had more fun with less injury, and its breaking my lazy 450 habits so when I get back up to speed I will actually be fast.

Lazy man can be fast on a 450. But not on a 2 stroke. :) C'mon go 2 smoke...we all know they're comin back. Or atleast get one while you still can, as the years pass by the OEM's stop producing them...

get a 2 stroke...definitely kicking myself in the ass for getting a four stroke. yeah not gonna lie i love the power compared to my 125 but they are so much more expensive to maintain. 250 for sure!

I own both of them. I consistently have way more fun on the two stroke. The 450 makes things easy. The 250 keeps me sharp. I like them both for different reasons but if I could only have one bike it would without a doubt be the 250 two stroke.

I've been on a 450 sinse 2004. I don't think I'd ever switch completely, but I have been kicking around the idea again of getting a cheap 125 to play around on. Rode a friends 250 stroke last week for a few laps, and had a blast. I'd get hurt riding the 250 though, as I'd prolly expect it to do everything the same way my 450 does. A 125 is so slow, I would without a doubt know better.

a 125 is a blast to ride..... i ride mine way more than my 250 even if im to big to really be on one....

Braaaaaap Braaaap Brap.

for this oldschooler it is a no-brainer. 4-strokes make me lazy and fat.

Back