it followed me home...........

smitty

PR Addict
MR175.jpg....I get a call from a guy at the shop I used to work at "this guy has a old bike he wants to get rid of..........
77 MR175,has great compression,all there but fenders and lights,speedo,not recycled petty front fender on rear,forks and shock shafts are pitted,pretty much normal overall condition,is one of my "bucket" bikes
it did follow me home,on the rack behind the grand caravan:cool: smitty
pencil.png

Just in time for Vintage Days to scrounge for parts and pieces. Worthy candidate for vintage or post-vintage cross country racing?

Did it cost you a few beers to get the following started....

Glad to see you get one that was on your wanted list as many of us know there is no such thing as enough Vintage Bikes!

hooked up a test tank,2 kicks a it fired and went to a nice quiet idle,no funny noises,nothing,i did not touch a thing,carb puked out the overflow briefly but stopped,chassis is in primer,need to sell rm125 to finance this one,got seat and lower rear fender w/toolbox coming,wheels need spokes,shocks need shafts which I may be able to make
smitty

proof you can polish a turd,bad news is starting with a good running bike I ignored the engine til we had no spark,inspection of the stator showed a trashed crank and flywheel,key was welded to crank which came off when flywheel was removed,need crank and flywheel now,at least it's pretty,new spokes,made s/s shafts for the shocks,new fork seals,nice used clark tank recovered seat and ufo rear fender off ebay,finally found a use for the front ufo fender,; } 77 mr.jpg

Looking Good!

Motor is sounding like a Cleveland winter project.

Heard this more than once & could never figure out why someone would weld something that is suppose
to bolt on as the next guy is screwed.

bad crank.jpgflywheel was held in place w/a nut like stock,looks like it had come loose,key shifted and trashed the crankcrank.jpg

pulled the engine,got it apart,good news,topend good at 1.00mm with wiseco piston,having trouble tracking down rings but these should do for now,got a good crank of ebay for $72 shipped as well as all the gaskets and most of the seals,right side crank seal NLA,found them at a site called honda restoration so that's taken care of,main bearing replaced on ign side clutch side is great,guy on vmx site hooked me up on flywheel which is unique to this bike and stupid money on ebay $27 shipped from him,will have to find differant winter project maybe the BSA will come apart,maybe not ; )

it lives!,did a lap around the hood,runs well,has all 5 gears,good clutch,working on the lights may try to plate it so I can ride in the reliability run down in toronto next year,need to tune the rear suspension,shock are not right yet and the axle and swingarm bushings need to be replaced

Back