Torn Meniscus

Lotts24

PR Elite
Anyone have a torn meniscus? I am going in for an MRI first thing tomorrow morning to see if mine is torn. How long is the recovery time?

I've had that in the past . Micro surgery to remove some of the cartilage was minimally invasive . I was walking the next day . Had to have fluid drained one time . The problem I have is that so much cartilage was taken from my left knee that the joint is " loose " . No matter how much I build up the muscles around it , it will not tighten up . The knee can momentarilly pop out , which is painful and a bit scary . I can only ride by wrapping my knee and wearing a brace . Hopefully yours is not as severe and I think your recovery time will be quick . Best of luck .

Went to the dr. and he said I tore my acl. I am going this week to get another opinion. anyone that I have talked to that tore their acl can barely walk. I can walk pain free and almost without a limp. I can put all my weight on it, the only thing hindering me is I don't have full range of motion.

Everyone is different. You may have just torn it a bit and not all the way through. The swelling will cause a loss in your ROM. If you hear clicking or popping when you move your knee then it is more likely your meniscus.

Then again I am not a doctor. Good luck ! If it is your ACL go to racerx virtual trainer. There is a great article by Aldon Baker on the time line he used for James Stewarts ACL recovery and why.

I've had both ACL's reconstructed. Back on a bike in about 3 1/2 - 4 months, but probably shouldn't have. It also depends on which method you chose. I used my patella tendon.

Hopefully it's not torn all the way. Good luck, and let us know how it goes. Lots of ACL info on here, and people that speak from experience.

Thanks everyone for the info. I am attempting to get into my old ortho dr. as we speak. Guess they don't take to second opinions very well. Only strayed away from my normal ortho dr. because he is now an hour away from me. I don't have any clicking or popping, and never felt a pop when I hurt it. I sat on a bike last night and can get my foot on the peg, couldn't do that earlier in the week. I have been trying to get it loosened up. The bad thing is if I get it loosened up I will want to ride, but know I should wait to hear what the dr says.

I saw the pic of the MRI. The one of my ACL was so blurry I don't know how they diagnosed it as being torn. My meniscus was fine, just had a lot of bruising on the bones. I am pretty sure my knee hyper-extended and the bruises support that as the bottom part of my leg shifted forward. One of my questions is if my knee moved that way then how did I tear my ACL as is supports lateral movement. I am sure it can still happen, but in my mind it sounds good. I told the dr. I ride motocross and ask for some braces. At first he said yes and when I ask how soon I could see the brace guy he wanted me to wait, do 3 weeks of therapy then see if I need them. In my experience of sports anyone with a torn acl is in a brace for a long time when they play sports so why all of a sudden I may not need one.

My second tear was a bummer. I went down, and thought that I had torn it, because the feeling felt too familiar. Well, I was pissed that I had done it, so I jumped back on my bike and hit the next triple that I hadn't ever hit before. Dumb move. I overjumped and flatlanded, and felt like a rubberband had just broken in my knee. It was only torn some, then I tore it the rest of the way with that dumb manuver.

After both tears, I felt fine after a couple of weeks, like nothing was wrong. But, it will come back to bite at some point. It's very hard to run/jog with a torn ACL. Walking on hills is hard. It just stinks. I hope it all works out for you. good luck.

Back