Thinkin' about doing a GP, what should I expect?

MXracn746

PR Addict
I'm thinking about doing a GP. What should I expect to see? When should I show up? An hour or so before I go, or get there early and wait? Do I have to be there all day? Most tracks have the 40+ class at 3PM. I haven't raced an hare scramble since '88. I did the Firecracker 100 in Tarentum, PA. That was rough.

An hour before is plenty early, unless you want to watch some earlier races to check out the track. Not nearly as brutal as a hare scrambles, usually bark busters aren't really needed. Lots of fun, come check one out.

An hour before your class goes is plenty of time. The only reason to be there earlier is to race or watch another class. The courses are more open than a HS course so you can ride without bark busters but I prefer use them. They last less than a hour. Just ride and have fun. Maybe a good idea to practice some dead engine starts...

An hour before is plenty early, unless you want to watch some earlier races to check out the track. Not nearly as brutal as a hare scrambles, usually bark busters aren't really needed. Lots of fun, come check one out.

jeffro667 rides 50+ now. He's one of the fast guys out there.

An hour early is great. It is wide open woods, usually not tight and tricky stuff, some wide open stuff too, usually some mx, some obstacles. A good GP is a mix of everything

Where are the classes listed? I'd like to do one myself. I did one at TV Land before-- it was alotta fun.

I'd ride along at less than full pace, and gather up little tricks to save you time on the next lap around.

Also-- after the start, the riders will be all bunched up at some point. Watch the start of the race before you. Look for a spot to pass the 50 riders that'll surely get packed together. I did that, and ended up way out in front of my class. I'm a sh!tty rider though-- so they eventually caught me later on. Look at the sign up sheet and pay close attention to who the other riders in your class are b/c you'll be riding with other classes. I stayed tight with the riders in my group and looked for places to stuff them on the last lap. I didn't want to race other riders that weren't in my race, because I didn't want to lose touch with the guys I needed to beat. haha! Good luck-- and post up the classes. --L*64

Unless I am missing it I cant find an event listing on the CRA site. Only a calendar view......oh well. This is from the CRA hand out.....

5 GP events

Malvern already had theirs may 14

July 9th Amherst
August 13th TV Land
Sept. 10th Mansfield
October 15th Western Reserve

I am hoping to be healthy enough to catch the last two. They are a riot ! Slow down just a bit and ride smart ! Excellent training for next years LL Qualifiers.

I have attended the WRMC event the last two years and you just cant beat them. A cross between MX and HS.

Funny, I was just looking at the CRA site trying to find info as well...the calendar only view is a little hard to navigate, wish there was just a straight schedule listing. I can't make the one at Amherst and the one at TVLand will be tough to motivate for but will shoot for the WS one!

I also dug around and found that District 11 has a bunch of GP events too.

Amazing in this day and age I swear it's getting HARDER to find info than it was 5 years ago.

Back