rmz 250 help

stangbro01

PR Addict
I recently picked up a mint 08 rmz 250 with only 4 rides around the yard. problem is when i go into a corner and if im a gear to high the thing will completely cut out when i get on the gas again but the rpm is still high enough that it shouldnt be doing that.

do i need a quickshot? or does anyone know what will fix this?

thanks!

If you are idling at 2100 RPM's or so you should not stall accelerating out of the corner...
Check your accelerator pump for correct operation and timing.
Remove the seat loosen the clamp holding the boot on the rear of the carb. Remove the subframe. While looking inside the intake of the carb whack the throttle open. You should see a stream of fuel spray from a small brass nipple (LEAK JET) into the carb just as the slide opens up. Use a camera and have someone film this a couple times so you can watch it in slow motion The fuel should just miss the slide as it opens. It should not be too late and it should not be too early and hit the slide. If you get no fuel or irregular stream take off the side cover (where the throttle cables go in) and check the Accelerator Pump push rod make sure it is not corroded or gunked up. whack the throttle open a few times and make sure it is working properly spray with WD-40 and clean until it works smooth and responds quickly as it should. this is also were you adjust the AP (Accelerator Pump) if it is not timed properly. Advance or Retard as unnecessary.

If everything works properly and no fuel, or inconsistent spray then clean or replace the leak jet.
This may or may not be the problem but I HOPE THIS HELPS. as it is easy to check and costs nothing.
Remember If you buy a quick shot or other AP you will have to go through this process to time it also.

If all checks out OK I would check the valve clearance Especially the intake valves.

haha cool! ya it seems like 1st -3rd gear are really close on this bike and i get them mistaken easily but it should still pull good out of the corner with a little clutch. the bike was sitting for a long time and there was some gum in the carb jets, i cleaned it out but didnt mess with the accelerator pump, maybe ill clean that out next.

thanks again!

If you are idling at 2100 RPM's or so you should not stall accelerating out of the corner...
Check your accelerator pump for correct operation and timing.
Remove the seat loosen the clamp holding the boot on the rear of the carb. Remove the subframe. While looking inside the intake of the carb whack the throttle open. You should see a stream of fuel spray from a small brass nipple (LEAK JET) into the carb just as the slide opens up. Use a camera and have someone film this a couple times so you can watch it in slow motion The fuel should just miss the slide as it opens. It should not be too late and it should not be too early and hit the slide. If you get no fuel or irregular stream take off the side cover (where the throttle cables go in) and check the Accelerator Pump push rod make sure it is not corroded or gunked up. whack the throttle open a few times and make sure it is working properly spray with WD-40 and clean until it works smooth and responds quickly as it should. this is also were you adjust the AP (Accelerator Pump) if it is not timed properly. Advance or Retard as unnecessary.

If everything works properly and no fuel, or inconsistent spray then clean or replace the leak jet.
This may or may not be the problem but I HOPE THIS HELPS. as it is easy to check and costs nothing.
Remember If you buy a quick shot or other AP you will have to go through this process to time it also.

If all checks out OK I would check the valve clearance Especially the intake valves.

After re-reading the symptoms, I have to agree with TC. If the bike sat for quite a while, the carb is probably dirty and the accelerator pump probably isnt functioning correctly.A good cleaning would be a good first step.

Back