Hats off to old Husky's

NQ1965

PR Elite
Neat article in just released MXA magazine about Chuck Sun coming back for his first race in 1979 in the states (from Europe), Trans-AMA at Mid-Ohio in September.

He took 2nd overall beating Roger Decoster. He was riding injured, didn't have a contract for 1980 yet, and was riding a Husqvarna.

My understanding was that by 1975, the husky's weren't as strong as contender as the other brands anymore.

Also saddens me to think of the significance Ohio tracks have played in our sports professional history, yet today we struggle to keep open amateur tracks.

Mmmmm. The whole sport has changed for the average rider/racer. We're more of "riders" now than racers. I don't think it's a bad thing. Not only that-- but there are a ton more tracks in the area than there used to be. Couple that with a crappy economy, and expensive new bikes, and there ya go. ---L*64

If you ever get a chance to talk to Chuck about that year and Husky...it's a pretty cool story. I believe he was trying out a new Mossbarger reed set-up on that bike.

The bulk of the machines owned, ran and raved over on here always seem to be the CR's, YZ's, RM's, KX's, and Maico's, and an occassional CZ in post vintage racing. I know a few members own old Husky's and run them, but it seems time for someone to really build one up and give it a go at a first place overall at an event. If it could be done back in the late 70's then I think it could be done today.

Sewing machines & chain saws...
I have ridden halffast's 74 mag 250 & 83 or 84 CR 500 and while as most bikes have their own unique traits feel I could go as fast on them as anything else so don't
see a swing either way and would say the older bikes are 95% rider anyway.
The only draw back is his 500 is very hard to start & always bust his chops say you need to get a Maico!

Rocket Robin also has a 80's something Husky thumper & can smoke just about anybody when he brings it out!

Maico Mark

Thanks Maico Mark! My Husky is a 1983 510 TX (cross country model) 4 stroke with a 1984 KTM WP upside down fork front end on it. The 83 Husky forks are junk, the fork tubes are too soft and bend all the time with only a slight hit, and they just plain suck. Earlier years are better or later years are better than the 83's. Husky's were very competitive through the 70's and very early 80's with the other brands, so there should be no reason that they can't run well in vintage racing now. I think parts are harder to come by after all the years of ownership changes etc for the factory than other brands so you may not see as many of them for that reason moreso than the bikes were bad bikes.

I was Husky mounted back in 07

P7287521.jpg

ebay-husky001.jpg

I was Husky mounted back in 07

P7287521.jpg

ebay-husky001.jpg

And there we are! Scott, your an aggressive racer and incredibly resourcefull, trade off one in your herd for a Swedish mount and give us some of that hot seat action like you did in Athens. You could take the podium in PV, while KO takes podiums in vintage CC on his 400. (heee hee).

Rockets' performance on his 510 is still fresh in my mind. The photo I caught of him rounding to the beginning of the track is still one of my favorite shots. I still like going back and looking at that one. That bike looked out of place but no disputing its' presence.

Come to think of it, my old husky was at Drew's race. The kid is pretty fast on it. My favorite Husky's are the 83/84 white ones!

My work computer filtered out the bike pic so I'm just now seeing it. Man.........I don't know how you part with such awesome bikes when you have them?

Back