Health Insurance

JLutton356

PR Member
My ins with my company is about go up for renewal and im looking to get health ins on my own. Looking for some input on what some of you business owners and self employed are choosing? Any suggestions on where to look??

Jason,
I just went through this about a month ago when I became self-employed. I found the best plans were offered by Medical Mutual or Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield. The biggest problem I found when you don't have an employer/group plan is that none of them offer and Emergency Room co-pay when you buy health insurance individually. I don't have to tell you how important that part is when you race/ride. So, I ended up taking Medical Mutual because they did offer a plan with an Urgent Care copay. I don't know how successful I will be finding an Urgent Care if Alex has an emergency situation but it's better than nothing. I also have a pretty high deductible because the monthly premium is cheaper that way. Just make sure you get quotes that have the coverage laid out and compare them side by side and be especially aware of the Emergency and Urgent care options.
Oh, there were also some cheaper ones that did not cover MRI's or Catscans and it's not worth it to pay the cheaper premium. You need to have those included on your coverage!
Hope this helps.
Roxanne

Jason,
Aside from your regular health insurance, look into Aflac. It is pretty good stuff. It is an accidental insurance and will pay you for missing work or having dr. visits and stuff like that. The biggest thing with this insurance is you can not let them know you are in a competitive closed course competition. If you hurt yourself in a race in no way shape or form let them know you were racing. If at all possible stay out of the meat wagon, that is a dead give away. It can also help if you don't get the best insurance it can help pay for the medical bills.

I ended up switching to Anthem. Previously we had Hometown but when our wonderful president made healthcare "better" they tried raising our rates 80% ( the max aloud by law). I ended up with far worse coverage for 40% more. I have 12 employees so that helps us a bit. One thing to look into is joining a group like the BIA or the NFIB. Groups like these cost you money to join ( usually less than $500 per year) but can save you a substantial amount of money on insurance. Even COSE offers insurance coverage. The benefit being the members act as one 'group' buying insurance and give you the savings power of a large company. Also your rate increase each year , which you will have no matter what, will be lower with these groups than it would on your own. And remember shop every year for rates, you will find that about every 4 -5 years you will most likely be better off somewhere new.

PM me with your contact info. My GF does health benefits, and she can probably help you out. I have a Golden Rule plan that's decent for the price-- but I think United has something pretty decent for a good price as well. One thing I've noticed about individual health insurance plans-- is that they seem to have a small question regarding "Auto or M/C racing" on the app. If you do-- then they don't. --Tony C.

i am out at the races every weekend. i also am in the insurance business and can shop all insurance carriers and get you the best rate available. i can defenitely help you out.
marc
you can pm me or email me at marcrothchild@yahoo.com

My wife is a health broker and can help you out. Robyn Caupp, Montgomery insurance and investments. 937-372-7669 ext 118, robyn@montgomeryii.com

As for Aflac, it is a good idea with one exception. Allstate has the BEST voluntary accident policy in the business right now. I work for Essenture, and we represent 34 different voluntary carriers, Aflac being one of them. But we very seldom use Aflac because there are better plans at lower premiums now. That duck is expensive!

Robyn and I can help you out with medical and voluntary insurance.

For a family of 4 we pay $40 a month for Aflac. My daughter also has the allstate accident insurance threw her work. I think she pays $11 a month.

Combined insurance

I have a policy on Rich & Jesse both for accident & life. Def the best investment I have made for both. Jesse is off now for the ACL replacement, Dr visits are paid, time off is paid per month....it also pays to go to the ER, short term & long term hopital pay, etc. Worth looking into as well as some of the others suggested above with the exception of Aflac. Also wathc because most wont write you a policy if they know you "Race" a dirt bike along with other extreme sports.

Not sure on the Health Ins. Many companies are going to high deductable HSA plans to be able to keep coverage on their employees and not paying for the spouse/child/children premiums. Health care cost have gone up so much it is very hard to afford the top of the line coverage anymore.

Good luck Jason in the hunt. I would strongly suggest making yourself a list of what you do want (ie: low copays, ER visits, Ambulatory, Heli-transport, prescriptions) and then a list of what is maybe not so important (ie: durable medical equipment, prescriptions, nursing home/short term rehab).

Research is key and take your time to break all the choices down and compare. If the agent is pushy or un-willing to shop other companies for you then select another agent who is working for your best interest.

Rae Lynn :)

Def get something with good ER coverage, we havent been to the ER since 08 but after Smith Rd. on memorial day I cut the tip of my middle finger off running it into the chain and sprocket of my boys 65. A nice stitch seam, x rays, and about 3 hours of their time was close to 5k at Lodi, my portion with insurance was 600.... Ouch on the wallet and in my finger.

If you're interested in AFLAC, there will be a group of Reps at the Cliff this Sunday July 17th for KTM Demo Day! They will be answering questions, renewing policies, and selling new ones, if anyone is interested.

I have a policy on Rich & Jesse both for accident & life. Def the best investment I have made for both. Jesse is off now for the ACL replacement, Dr visits are paid, time off is paid per month....it also pays to go to the ER, short term & long term hopital pay, etc. Worth looking into as well as some of the others suggested above with the exception of Aflac. Also wathc because most wont write you a policy if they know you "Race" a dirt bike along with other extreme sports.

Not sure on the Health Ins. Many companies are going to high deductable HSA plans to be able to keep coverage on their employees and not paying for the spouse/child/children premiums. Health care cost have gone up so much it is very hard to afford the top of the line coverage anymore.

Good luck Jason in the hunt. I would strongly suggest making yourself a list of what you do want (ie: low copays, ER visits, Ambulatory, Heli-transport, prescriptions) and then a list of what is maybe not so important (ie: durable medical equipment, prescriptions, nursing home/short term rehab).

Research is key and take your time to break all the choices down and compare. If the agent is pushy or un-willing to shop other companies for you then select another agent who is working for your best interest.

Rae Lynn :)

I too have Combined Insurance. I had nasty crash couple years back and it covered every thing and some. I have Accidental and Life. Its worth looking into.

There are companies on the voluntary side for accident that cover motorsports. And for the pro practicers, they all cover riding or practicing. It is when you sign up for competition that some of the carriers will not pay the claim on accident insurance.

Most of what I do is all through employers, and if the products are available through your employer, look into them. Most all the carriers "group" products through employers is MUCH better coverage than individual coverage you can buy, and less expensive. If your employer offers the Allstate group accident policy......it is by far, the BEST in the industry right now. If they need it, have them call me, and myself or one of my associates will make a sales call on them.

Back