Truck won't turn over...

Cody Havel

PR Addict
I have full juice at the battery. I'm getting the same voltage at the solenoid on the starter from the battery. Then I checked the activation post on the solenoid. When I turn the key to start, I'm getting 5 volts to it. Should that be reading 12-14 volts or so?

If it doesn't get 12V volts then use a jumper wire or screwdriver to jump power from 12V in to you 12V out. If that doesn't do it then you could gave bigger issues. I could try and walk you through them when it comes time.

If you verify your starter is getting power whack it with a hammer or something. It may have a bad spot on solenoid on the starter.

What kind of truck is it?

If it doesn't get 12V volts then use a jumper wire or screwdriver to jump power from 12V in to you 12V out. If that doesn't do it then you could gave bigger issues. I could try and walk you through them when it comes time.

If you verify your starter is getting power whack it with a hammer or something. It may have a bad spot on solenoid on the starter.

What kind of truck is it?

It's an '04 F-250. I'm going to try and clean the connections tomorrow. The one coming from the battery is pretty badly corroded. And the activation post and the ground is rusty. I think I'll clean those up, and if it still doesn't work after that, I was going to pull the starter and test it on the bench. I suppose a jumper would accomplish the same thing while keeping the starter on the truck. I'll update tomorrow.

Most of the time it is the GROUND from the battery to the frame. Take it off and wire brush it from the FRAME.

Park it sideways on a very steep hill then get a few PPL to help push on the high side. May take a little effort and some rhythmic rocking motion but it will turn over...
Keep trying...;)

Back