The wall of shame

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
........didn't happen......everyone can breathe easy now.

Frank did a great job addressing the "jump skipper" situation without really changing the track. He filled the area next to the jumps with sand and some little whoops so the people choosing that line weren't able to go full speed 5th gear. I even went through there a couple times!

I will say though....a HECK OF A LOT more people were going through the jumps than last week! :p

Thanks Frank for always working to make a really fun and safe weekly practice! The layout changes were cool too.

Ok I'll put one pic up just to make fun of my good buddy Rich.
I think he skipped the jumps ONCE the whole night and we caught him!

Attachments

• SKIPPER.jpg
    SKIPPER.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 241
i didnt skip the jumps at all.. i rolled them twice due to little kids being in front of me at that section.. but honestly i dont see what the fuss is about. i jumped them smooth my first lap. they aren't the smoothest but they are not horrible either.. at the end of the night i was having fun through there. it seemed like the more speed you carried through them the smoother it was

the outside line did look pretty fun though.. to go fast through there and then have a nice line at the single around the corner... but i couldnt bring myself to be a jump skipper lol

You know when this topic came up last week about the double-double-double or 6-pack or whatever it's being refered to it ruffled some feathers, as it often does in discussions on other tracks.
A pestering thought stuck in the mud of my cranium is that when it comes to rythm sections and 6, 8, 10 or 20 packs, it comes down to "those who can, and those who can't".

Those who can't or won't, often get criticized. Nobody likes to roll obstacles that everybody else is riding through, and you sure don't want to race on that track if you are the only racer who can't jump through.

I believe that this riding skill is learnable, for most everybody. But it sure would be easier if you could learn on an easier rythm section. Lower jumps(rollers), spread further apart. That way you could learn without casing, and endoing if you miss-time it. Yet nobody builds a learner rythm section to train on and build up to.

I do find it reassuring when on occasion you see a vet racer or pro crash in a rythm section, just knowing that "it claims them too sometimes".

Yes the WALL OF SHAME I made it. I would like to take this time to thank my sponsers, Dunlop for allowing me to get great traction on that flat ground around those jumps, spy goggles for allowing me to see the flat ground as I'm riding around those jumps in 5th gear and to the man above for keeping me safe. No joking with the last one either!!!!!

Mike,
Yeah, rhythm sections are tough….I know they give me nightmares!!!!!

But, this section of the Cabin is not even CLOSE to the old Cliff rhythm section ………AKA Mr. Rogers neighborhood.

Unlike Mr. Rogers neighborhood…..this section can be done easily with nothing more than the butt off the seat and some throttle control….it’s not difficult at all.
<O:p</O:p
But for a reference let’s use this:

It’s a nice cool sunny day, the dirt is moist, the bike is running crisp, the girls are in short-shorts and you and I are making a lap around the beautiful Briarcliff circuit, (I’m leading you by a bike or two) as we come up to Mr. Rogers neighborhood.
I make the tight left, make sure I’m in second gear and start jumping in.

Now you (the track cutter) want to keep pace or even get around me,.... so instead of going through them (in whatever fashion), you swing wide in the turn, grab another gear and blast around all of them at 70 MPH…… then you cut back onto the track (at 70 MPH) in front of me just as I land the last one….

What you (the track cutter) need to take into consideration is…..I’m having a hard enough time making this section clean on my own, so the last thing I need is my concentration distracted by some water-truck-lane drag-racing-douche blasting by me at 70 MPH.
<O:p</O:p
It's a tough section (so tough, you won't do it)...but I do.
So, coming in, I’m focused on the obstacle in front of me, one that demands my attention for a long period of time and requires me to make multiple decisions quickly depending on the outcome of my last decision…No problem right…that’s why we LOVE MX.

Ok, Cool……But now, about half way through (right as I’m feeling like MC because I made the first two jumps clean), I catch something out of my peripheral vision.

Oh Crap, something is changing!!!!..I need to react!!

So… I have to scrap my needs and now pay attention to whatever it is that's blasting up the water truck road .....(because it wasn’t there a second ago).

Now all my concentration is on YOU!... Because I may need to adjust to avoid the possibility of you and I coming together…..

Add to all of that …….I’m putting my wheels back on the track in second gear rhythm speed while you are tapped out in forth.
…….It’s an ugly thing ……

Hey Rocket, ya got any room in that closet?

What you (the track cutter) need to take into consideration is…..I’m having a hard enough time making this section clean on my own, so the last thing I need is my concentration distracted by some water-truck-lane drag-racing-douche blasting by me at 70 MPH.

Now thats funny !!!! Funny but true ! The exact point people are missing here.

And that novel by Sharc is a perfect extended description of how the first paragraph of my original "jump skipper" post started. I never criticized beginners or those who weren't comfortable jumping them. If those guys want to select a wide line, slow down, and slowly go around I don't care.

I was riding my '84 RM250 last night and I never jumped those jumps on it, I rolled them every lap. Nobody made fun of me for it, nobody landed on me either. I picked a line off to the one side and rolled them and other riders jumped past me.

FYI …..Mike’s not a track cutter, I was only using him in my example because I know he won’t PM me to F’ off ......LOL!!!!

Well said Sharc,the bottom line is the people going around need to yield to the riders that are jumping.I put the bypass there becouse I belive no one should be forced to do something that they don't feel safe doing.I like all track owners want their track to be fun,safe and challenging.I think the sand whoops in the bypass lane helped alot and was a new challenge.Thanks to everone who replied to this post without your feedback and honesty I woulden't be able to fix a bad situation.We do our best at the Cabin to make a fun night for everyone.If there ever a concern about what we do or a way to make things better tell me or my wife,we do listen to everyone. Thanks Frank & Dorae

No way that I can top Sharc's novel on this issue........ so I'll let him have center stage here! Come Sunday after Briarcliff....... we'll see who has a better novel!

Many a truth can be said in a joke.
Sharc you're insightfull playout of the rythm section racers woes paints a really good picture. Helpful as well. I too would be distracted by the speedway racer on the side.

Seems to me, the focus and body language has to be to try and ride through the jumps and not actually try and jump through them. And that your eyes have to be focused out ahead to the next and not on your landing. When I tried jumping through BC's 10 pack, I was looking good till I hit the third set and then woke up on my head.

Maintaining a central body position, yet knowing when and how to react and adjust (as you so well put it), seems key. Yet you only learn this through experience. Am I incorrect on this?

I liken it to first learning to jump a double. You start out small and short. You don't start out jumping 60 footers.

And a training rythm section doesn't have to be in the track. It can be built by itself off to the side. Same thing with learning whoops. I'm not asking more of the track owners, they do a lot to accomodate as it is. Just consideration for the learners. And I will always be a roller if I have to.

Sometimes I overthink this stuff!

Pit..... Just curious, why roll through on the 84?

Pit..... Just curious, why roll through on the 84?

No real reason other than I just didn't feel comfortable on the old bike in them. I only did about 5 laps on it to make sure it runs right for Mid Ohio, I suppose if I keep riding it there I will start doing those jumps on it. The old bike suspension doesn't lend itself all that well to the new style "poppy" type jumps. That's why at Briarcliff I usually stay on the C track on the old bike.

I heard about a guy who was a SKIPPER!!! Cost him and a bunch of others BIG TIME. Never mind the WALL of SHAME. They spent years trying to get off this island they had ended up shipwrecked on. Good thing there was this funny guy "Gilligan" to lighten the mood and a couple of Hotties along with them.

DON'T BE A SKIPPER

Back