Tire Change Video

You're a few days late w/ this vid. I watched a guy (Dave B.) get school'd pretty good by an XR80 tube 'n tire Thursday night... You didn't hear it from me though. hahahaha!

Nope-- he may hate them, but he's not the one that got schooled..... more like D. B***man.... haha! I don't even bother. I've done it successfully if I've had to, but it's a job I'd prefer to take swats than to do. --Tony C.

ok, so i happened to see this video before heading down to Briarcliff this past Saturday and since I was in need of a new rear tire i decided to stop at Iron Pony to pick one up. They asked me if i wanted it installed and I said "no" to the 45 min wait thinking, "pfft, I'll do it myself at the track AND save the $25!". I've done plenty of tire changes and now that I know some new tricks this will be a breeze... 2 hours worth of sweating my a$$ off and 2 pinched tubes later (I'm sure if I had 5 it would have been 5...), it was only my son enjoying his first ride at the Cliff while I tried to cool down...both temper and temperature. I guess that's what I get for buying an old Dunlop closeout. Should have paid the $25 and waited the 45 minutes...it would have been a much better ride home! This begs the question - are tire changing stands worth the $? I've never used one, I normally do the changes on the ground.

i use a milk crate but i had one of those harbor freight tire changers it worked decent for taking the tires off the rim but putting em back on was kind of a pain as the tire would slide on the rim!

0000_Motion_Pro_Spoon_Tire_Iron_--.jpg

Tire Spoon

That’s a regurgitated 1970’s idea…but one that works well. Originally they were called “Breezers” and I had a set, but actually, you only needed one.
I have not seen this new style …….but I’m inclined to believe that the old style would still scratch up the anodizing on a rim.

get a stand... it makes it way easier... i use dish washing soap to lube the tire,works really good..if your ever looking for a great tire battle try putting a 10 inch tire on a mini sx sometime... the bigger tires are cake compared to them..

i always change them on a 5 gallon bucket.. the sprocket / rotor fits in nicely.

although lately i avoid doing them myself... im really bad at it... ok lets be honest i dont think ive ever done one 100% myself. i have attempted it, but near by spectators must see how terrible i am and feel bad and lend a helping hand lol

one thing somebody told me that seemed to help was to avoid pulling the tire iron / spoon back any farther than 90 degrees.. to avoid pinching tubes.

If you can get the five gallon bucket waist high on a table it really helps out.

The tires I dread changing but I love to run are maxxis tires. Omg are they a nightmare to get on. It's a struggle still with 98% of the tire on the rim.

And pit did you get the slim version or the gripped version. Let us know how they work because I've always liked the long spoons, short ones make the tire change too stressful for me.

Joc at Moto-X taught me how to change them. If I do like he said, I don't sweat and don't say too many bad words. Use GOOD tire irons, 5-gallon bucket, and soap or WD40, and I could knock them out in 30 minutes or so. Had a good day once and did a pair in a bit over an hour, including taking them off and on the bike.

Back