Good Stories and Hard Lessons Learned.

NQ1965

PR Elite
I'm not typically a compulsive truth teller, and can be quite reserved at times, but some of the recent posts on here compel me to come clean on this one.

With Pit's (as I referred to it) "heartfelt confessions of a motorcycle racer" about his Millville Regional experience, and then Sharcs' loose hose clamp confession leading to a seize of a perfectly fine motor, it's a reminder that were all human, make mistakes, and sometimes make some pretty good stories. Unfortunately these are sometimes hard lessons learned.

Preparing for Vintage days was a bit chaotic for me. After the AHRMA race in late June, I was having truck troubles with my old Ford (Flossy). I was trying to exercise most every day to stay conditioned for the heat (while trying to nurse out knee, leg and toe injuries sustained on July 4, riding crash). Working every weekday, keeping up with the lawn, spending as much time with the granddaughter as I could, and prepping two bikes for July 22-24 races.

The KDX didn't require a whole lot of work so that helped. The YZ250 gave me some periodic hard starts in Athens so I resolved to fix that. I ordered parts to replace my crank seals, and planned on thorough inspections of my ignition and carb. Parts were slow in coming, including waiting on a rotor puller. As Vintage days approached, I was scrambling to get this work all done and I did. The Sunday before the races I had a good testing day at Briarcliff, had some good runs, made a few adjustments......She's set! Spent two evenings that week finishing up the KDX, and then gather up of gear and all the other crap you need for race day.

Now....We move to Sunday, July 24 Post Vintage racing. First practice goes well. YZ250 running great.

First race (#7) EV3 201cc-open B/C.............................I get a weak start, but finished 4th overall out of 7 of us.

get back to pits to get ready for race #10....bikes overheating a little. (after all it was hot out).

Race #10, 40+ open B..........I get a much better start, I'm in third, slip back into 4th but aggressively chasing the KDX400 that passed me. I'm hot on his rear wheel and he's fading, to the final lap. I crest the small single jump directly before the tree turn, and my bike dies mid air, I pull off and she's panting like a steam locomotive. BADLY OVERHEATING and my cylinder base gasket is blown out.

Several days pass and I'm praying that I didn't screw something up that caused this....What do I find last night?

* * * * * My water pump hoses were backwards !

I get a decent start for once.
HLL-A.jpg

The KDX400 gets around Beenridin and me.
VMD-H.jpg

I'm giving it my all to keep him within striking distance.
HLL-B.jpg

(this photo is out of order, but you can see how close we kept him)
HLL-C.jpg

Heartbreak!
HLL-D.jpg

I am a pretty fair mechanic, but being rushed always leads to mistakes for me.

Oops! But doesn't that '82 have some unique plumbing that would make a hose swap an easy mistake.

This hot weather is rough on the older cooling systems. Like new suspension linkage systems in the early 80's, the new cooling systems worked but not as well as the modern ones. But with extended hot spell even my jet ski has been over heating. After 17 years running the same settings, I had to open the exhaust water jets to keep the head cool. It doesn't hit as hard now but at least it stays cooler. Would be nice to be able to tune a bike's exhaust pipe by turning some jet screws.

NQ1965 At least you stayed and raced, like a dumbass I packed in after it started raining Saturday evening.
I'm having problems with my 1985 KX125 getting hot also. After about 20 mintutes of blissful 125 moto fun it starts getting hot ! But boy it sure is fun for those 20 mintues !

Maybe what you really need is a Big Bore Honda !

What are water pump hoses anyway? Ok, all mine have fins!
I think we have all had brain fart at one time or another.
What is the stinking luck that both hoses would be the same length?

Glad to hear it made it thru the race ok minus a blow base gasket. If the base gasket keep blowing take
a sharp punch & put a bunch of small punch marks in the cases & cylinder as they will bite into the gasket
and hold it in place. I had to do this to my 76 Maico 250 & 1997 RM 250.

My personal would be back in 1975 putting a 75 CR 125 back together, cleaning up only to find I forgot to
put a few tranny shims in....had to spit the cases again & that bike was tough to get apart.

Sometimes I will take pictures of the bikes or tranny before tearing them apart for the above reasons and
sometimes like right now 8 months have passed since I split the cases on my 81 490 Maico which reminds
me I need to get back to it one of these days.

Another good practice is to take a paint pin or number tags & mark hoses or wires when working on bikes
or cars but being in a rush eliminates doing this.

I think the Sharc has another good story with KTM big bore kits & a missing oil passage screw.

The icing would have to be an old neighbor of mine who used an old antifreeze jug for a gas can.
Well guess what…he ended up putting anti-freeze in a 70’s Suzuki triple & locked it up bad.
What a mess that was to get apart for him & rebuild.

Maico Mark

Oops! But doesn't that '82 have some unique plumbing that would make a hose swap an easy mistake.

Easy enough that I got snagged by it.
The two hoses come down side by side, and are preformed to fit, but the shape is nearly identical. When I was reassembling that side of the engine, I was worried about making sure the pump gear was properly meshed on the inside, and I made sure I had pump impeller rotation by turning over the motor by hand. And then I just slapped the hoses on exactly as I remember them coming off. I needed to verify flow and hose connections with the manual. Stupid mistake.
I think what bothers me the most was all the work I put into it replacing the crank seals, and then not be so careful with the smaller details. I was more worried about having time to change my fork oil than I was about the motor.

Maybe what you really need is a Big Bore Honda !

Evo, your right about that. It's the only thing missing from my collection.
I'm already brainstorming for next year. I definitely want to take more bikes up and race more class's.

I'm thinking I can race my KDX again on Friday, My MX250 and 76 RM125 on Saturday, and then for the big show on Sunday:
My 82 YZ250, My 82 CR250, Your CR500 Honda, and cap it off with the 84 CR250 in pre-modern.

( I must be out of my mind ! ) But I love it!

Glad to hear it made it thru the race ok minus a blow base gasket. If the base gasket keep blowing take a sharp punch & put a bunch of small punch marks in the cases & cylinder as they will bite into the gasket and hold it in place. I had to do this to my 76 Maico 250 & 1997 RM 250. Maico Mark

Thanks for the tip on that Mark. That's something I wouldn't of thought of. Hopefully it only pushed out the gasket due to incorrect flow.

I am very fortunate that it didn't seize up. The engine still turns over very smoothly.

My confession...I choked...literally.

I was trying to defend my 126-200cc EVO2 number 1 plate. My first moto was pretty flawless, even had time to relax the bike to make sure she had enough left for moto 2. I'm the first moto of the day, so I'm hanging out waiting for the lunch break to end, conversing with my buddy, Ben Rogers. I get up to take a leak and hear over the PA that my race is getting ready to leave the line. I run back, grab the gear that I can....helmet...bike...and rush to the start. I arrive to everyone in staging, and Kim Adams greets me with how I was always holding up the show....LOL...who me? So, I take a deep breath and head to my starting position on the line. My bike won't start....I check the gas, it's on....and rushingly push it to life. The flag goes up and my bike bogs right on it's face. I still have my opponents covered, but she's running like crap....nothing but a mid top throttle keeps it running. I get passed and just try to survive the moto out....got 2nd. I get back to the pits...pissed off that she let me down...thinking I must of dropped the main jet. After quite a few minutes of *****ing, I look over and notice my problem....yep....CHOKE is on. FML! Still learning the hard lessons. Anyone wanna buy a 125?

Oh..man that hurts.....Jack was beating the old man in the 250 B EVO 3 class first moto...I go by him on the side of the track and he is kicking frantically. To no avail he can not get the mighty 82 RM 250 started. He get s a quad tow back to the pits 2 motos later only to find out he was out of gas...

Hey, those are some great stories!
I've done them ALL!
I still have the brain farts from time to time, especially if I'm rushed.

looks like it was one of those weekends for everyone,my air conditioned grand caravan was all loaded as was the trailer when it starts having fits(still broke),thursday night I spend 3 hrs unloading it and loading my 77 full size van I have owned since it was new,stop for gas come out of the store and the waterpump is pissing all over the ground,at this point its damn the torpedos and full speed ahead,kept an eye on the gauges and got there w/o trouble,the 81 RM125 drew a lot of looks and a couple of low ball offers but no buyers except for 1 guy w/o cell phone who could not hook up with me til monday,bike went to south bend indiana yesterday,next on the chopping block is the 1970 TS90,hopfully the girlfriend finds a job before I run outta bikes ; } smitty

Looks like I found the culprit on Jack two dnf bikes from mid-ohio. The 77 yz 125 had a wire pull out of the ignition plug under the seat. I put it back together and it ran fine. The 81 RM 125 spark plug cap was "loose" on the plug top . I gave it a little pinch with needle nose and she fired right up. What a heartbeaker. With only 10 motos on the day and both Jack and I running in 3 each that left no time to fiddle with bikes in betweem motos. If I had had more time at the track I could have fixed both of them .

TEST TEST TEST!!!!

I know it's tough to do, but I learned a lot from buying my "race ready" RM465 and showing up 18 hours away from home to find out it didn't run right. I now always try to dig out my old bikes (that are supposedly running) a month in advance of a race to make sure they are good to go. Also a good idea to try and run them through a tank of gas, that should be plenty of time to find any issues that will pop up. It's amazing how much can change on these old bikes when they just sit in the garage half the season....

It's amazing how much can change on these old bikes when they just sit in the garage half the season....

I can't help but give half a smile when I pull the tarps and there she sits, with small oil stains on my garage floor, smelling like it's been setting there 20 years, and then it creaks, squeaks, and fogs the neighborhood when fired.

And I understand how she feels......I'm getting old too!

I should have just left my vintage bikes alone last time out. They ran great through that tank of gas on the track at home. It was the next tank of gas at the races that caused trouble with both bikes.

TEST TEST TEST!!!!

I know it's tough to do, but I learned a lot from buying my "race ready" RM465 and showing up 18 hours away from home to find out it didn't run right. I now always try to dig out my old bikes (that are supposedly running) a month in advance of a race to make sure they are good to go. Also a good idea to try and run them through a tank of gas, that should be plenty of time to find any issues that will pop up. It's amazing how much can change on these old bikes when they just sit in the garage half the season....

You have too much time on your hands !!!! How about servicing my stuff ?

Back