Vertex pistons

I used one once, seized up after 2 hrs. Vertex told me I should have broke it in for 10 hrs before racing it. Yes, they said 10 hrs ! What a joke. I put a stock piston back in and never looked back !

They are stock in the KTM minis not sure about the big KTMs. We used them and never had a problem but that was when we were on 65's.

My first Vertex in my CRF right now, no issues yet, right around 20 hours. I will post my results after the next tear down. Always had good luck with stock and CP. The other brands mentioned above, not so much.

I ran a vertex like 6yrs ago and bike blew up on my 3rd ride and trashed the cylinder needless to say I went back to wiseco.

Not sure if many have ran them, but I would suggest a Wosner piston. They are made in Germany. I had one in my bike because the OEM ones are through the roof in price. Now keep in mind I am a vet female and I am not hard on a bike, but I had one in for 2 years and when we took it out it still measured within spec. Some of the KTM teams have run these pistons. We put something else in it and honestly I can't remember off the top of my head; I don't think my bike has the same power it did with the Wosner.

i did a topend on my 06 crf450 the fall of 07 & i used a je 13.5 -1 piston and i just replaced it with 110 hrs on it with no problems !!!

Did any of you Guys That had problems with Vertex pistons measure your Bore? They make an A, B, C, D, sizes or did you just get what they sent you? I have had the wrong size sent to me before.
I ran them in my 125 and 250 with no problems, as far as break in, let her rip after about 5 miniutes, never a problem. They ran them in the Pro Circuit bikes for years and I bet none of their top ends ever saw close to ten hours on them.

Been using Vertex pistons in my KX250 for years, luv'em. Heavier than stock, gives a bit more flywheel effect.

There my #1 choice as a mechanic for my bikes, but I will say that you need to be precise and measure your bore correctly. I have seen people try and put the 54.00mm in with a stock bore because they know 54.00mm is the stock bore of the bike not knowing that they should be running a 53.94... That .060 of clearance is left for a reason, the only time I've seen vertex pistons fail in my experience with them is due to installer lack of experience and knowledge to perform the job right.

Back