1985 Carlsbad 80cc Expert Vid

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
Amazing to watch this and see how 25 years later the top minicycle racing is very much the same and just as exciting. Yet the big bikes are soooo different now....

Great video and race. I used to want to ride Carlsbad as a kid after seeing in on ABC wide world of sports all the time. Pretty cool that all the top riders in there went onto pretty successful pro careers also.

great vid, i remember watching those on (i believe) The Nashville Network? Or something like that

Sweet! Where was Lowell Thompson, and John Kitsch? I believe that vid is labelled wrong. I think Carlsbad happened early in the year, and Jim Gaddis and Jimmy Button are riding... '87? bikes, from what I can see. The 1985 RM80's were the same from '83 to '85. Those are newer ones. Great vid anyway. I wish I could've rode at Carlsbad before it closed. ---L*64

BadA$$! Definately before my MX days. I moved back to Ohio 2 years earlier from L.A. area. Just thinking if I would have ever gotten hooked up in MX if I still lived there.... Funny to hear all the names as "up and comers"...An-TUNE-ez? :)

Did they used to run that class with the nationals?

No, the CMC Series was just a bid California series similar to the Winter Series in FL.

That was some exciting racing and it's so good to see they recognized the talents and how amazing the sport was back then.
I have vague memories of occasional motocross races on Wide World of Sports back in the 70's (which didn't air very often when there were only 3 channels.), and they still didn't air it that often in the early 80's even when cable came out.

I can watch those old video clips all week long and never grow tired.
Cool find and thanks for posting Pit.

Alright, I watched the 125's as well and where can I get me one of these Italian "Cagiva's" ? Upsidedown forks in 1985, way ahead of its time evidently. Whatever happened to that company??

Back