Rare Random Repetitious Rambling.....

Scoob

PR Founding Father
Well, may not be so rare, but wanted to get some peeps input. Not that I'll take and/or value any of it, but you just might be the one to set me straight or to another path.... ;)

OK, by now some of you may know that my MX Scooby Snack went crack (not sure what's up with the rhyming :)) In getting into it, I’m not so sure I’m going to spend the $1100 to $2000 to fix the motor this time around. Always said next time I was going to make it a KX500AF. Still want to, but….

So I start thinking, due to talking with Sharc Attack at Cliffy Sunday about is smoker with the flywheel weight and how I always wanted to build a KX300 and that I like the motor on the KTM300EXC I rode at a prior years’ KTM Ride Day at cliffy, etc., that maybe I’ll get a 2003-3005 KX250, make it a 300, put a flywheel weight on it, and be happy?????....maybe for the interim.

I still have my eye on a 2012 KX450f, but just not the right time. I planned more so on the spring and need to stick to that plan as best I can. I also still want to build that KX500AF (for the dunes if anything), but need another project piece in the garage (in addition to a 1986 KXT250 and 1988 KXF250) that I haven’t paid attention to, but threaten that will get to them….

Oh, and lastly, for those of you who do not know, I probably will not make it to Red Bud Vet fest again this year and have to cancel my hotel reservation. Go figure, eh? You never do quite know that maybe something could work in my favor by next weekend, however this is me we are talking about or at least I am and there are 2 chances, slim and none, that I would score a KX450f by then. Enjoy though!! :)

Wedge the 250 motor in there. Cheaper and more fun Im sure. I saw a yz250f frame with a 250 two stroke motor on ebay. Thing looked SWEET. Im currently shopping around for a nice 250 smoker. Prob be a few months till I pull the trigger but this 4 stroke crap has got to go.... to much money to be dumping into a motor that explodes when it goes south. Ill keep a 250f but I want a trusty 250 smoker so I dont have to worry about smoking a 1800 dollar motor after 20 hrs.

I hear ya bro. I got 70 outta this last rebuild 'til the grenate. I've seen the 250 smoker in a 250f frame. Prolly not a huge difference in putting it in a 450 frame.

Only true reason I wanna KX500AF is for the dunes when I go every year. A lot of mullah just for once a year, but I'd rise it on the trails and climb hills with it when I went instead of a heavy ol' KX450. KX450 is a must for me in MX at this point I feel. Rethinking it, but haven't found anything I feel as good on yet for MX.

Sell all of it for whatever you can get for it.......Your never gonna finish those projects in the garage. As time goes, you just get busier in life, not slower. Take whatever you get and add to it and buy the 450. At the end of the day, the 450 can be rode for everything that you do, and buying a new one will last you a long time.

Sell all that modern junk and get the 1975 KX 400 that is on ebay right now . Go vintage and never look back .

As a lurker and rare poster I see these kinds of posts all the time. Rebuilding a four stroke is not cheap and the two bangers are fun but who wants to be underpowered on race day. Tough choices these days, my boys ride a kx 65 and a Ktm 50 and I am dreading the 250f days. I was hoping the two strokes come back around by then I had an 04 rmz 250 that grenaded twice in one year I promised myself never to get another but to be competive what else are u going to do.

Scoob talking KX500AF again? Missing Vet Fest Again? Throwing out other random ideas of project bikes with 300's, 250's, 2 strokes, new 4 strokes, etc etc........

Some things will never change. Here's the real deal from a guy that has too many bikes to keep up with..........

1. Once a year is not enough riding to build a bike for.............. it will never run right without riding it a ton and you don't have the money to do it right from Service Honda........... forget it.
2. The old 450 cost too much to fix compared to what it's worth........... part it out and add the money to your new bike fund.
3. Sell the old crap that you've never gotten to, you never will and won't have the money anyway........ get some cash for it and add it to the new bike fund.
4. Save over the fall and winter......... buy a 2012 KXF450F (they have cool new features) and change the oil and air filter regularly........ it will last 3 years - 4 years without a problem, and you'll actually get to ride instead of filling Pitracer with useless ramblings that will never happen, like Red Bud Vet Fest with Scoob participating.
5. Enjoy the new bike and share stories of riding it next year instead of wrenching / dreaming of exotic bike builds.

Now go forth and be a productive member of society!

I was hoping the two strokes come back around by then I had an 04 rmz 250 that grenaded twice in one year I promised myself never to get another but to be competive what else are u going to do.

"what else are u going to do?"
Are you on a mission to become an A rider and then Pro, or are you riding and racing simply because you love the sport?

A hungry, smart, and yet aggressive racer on a 2 stroke can do pretty well me thinks. Modern two stroke race bikes are still great machines. Just look at what they have done with the KTM250SX. Fifty horsepower is not too shabby.

It is frequently seen that the right 2 stroke rider can take a field of thumpers on race day.

"JUST BELIEVE" ! ! !

My spurs are hung up for the moment, if I return it will be strictly for practice fun and I will get a kx250. The kids are in fun mode and are learning quickly, not sure where they are headed we quit racing and they are having alot of fun riding practice days. We raced Smith Rd. becaused they begged and when we were done the six yr old was pissed that it was over and he couldnt ride anymore in his words "this was stupid we shoudve gone to practice"!

Love it!! =)

buy a quad......they never break.......

Again funny! :) Besides, I gave up more than two wheels years ago hence two of the "projects" I have in the garage....

Scoob talking KX500AF again? Missing Vet Fest Again? Throwing out other random ideas of project bikes with 300's, 250's, 2 strokes, new 4 strokes, etc etc........

Some things will never change. Here's the real deal from a guy that has too many bikes to keep up with..........

1. Once a year is not enough riding to build a bike for.............. it will never run right without riding it a ton and you don't have the money to do it right from Service Honda........... forget it.
2. The old 450 cost too much to fix compared to what it's worth........... part it out and add the money to your new bike fund.
3. Sell the old crap that you've never gotten to, you never will and won't have the money anyway........ get some cash for it and add it to the new bike fund.
4. Save over the fall and winter......... buy a 2012 KXF450F (they have cool new features) and change the oil and air filter regularly........ it will last 3 years - 4 years without a problem, and you'll actually get to ride instead of filling Pitracer with useless ramblings that will never happen, like Red Bud Vet Fest with Scoob participating.
5. Enjoy the new bike and share stories of riding it next year instead of wrenching / dreaming of exotic bike builds.

Now go forth and be a productive member of society!

You know, you make sense bro. Guess I'm waiting on that money tree to come in. I don't plan on being Just Over Broke (JOB) forever, but until that happens you have got me thinking....agian/more whatever.... ;)

The KX300 dealio does have merit to me though. I see it working way before any of the others, well, the 2012 KX450 could, but...... I need something for off MX stuff. The pig is just too much for the woods. I do not do it much and I think it is possible the 300 may be a decent dune machine also. I have my eye on a 2004 KX250 right now. I'll let you know how it goes....

You do cut me to core though with the Vet Fest dealio. I deserve it though. I made it two years ago and will again. Hate to say it, but next year looks good! :) By then I should have some things behind me and a 2012 KX450 (and maybe a KX300 backup) to take with me. I actually thought I had made a reservation at a hotel in Missawaka, IN, but just looked and I did not. Oh well, yes, I will miss it again, but vow to return. I so wanted to see your face when I showed up. For another year I suppose. ;)

To be honest, I had ridden quite a bit prior to blowing the bike up again and was feeling pretty decent. Sucks to have these set backs, but some of them, OK all of them, are self inflicted. The bike gave me a warning and I failed to listen. Could have been a $500 fix with a new piston, done, but now is a salvage operation.

See you at a track near you....hopefully this year. Still searching for that money tree! :)

Aye, Aye CapEtan.... ;)

Yea. Factor in your priorities. If you dont race why do you need a 6k machine? Oh wait closer to 7k. Dont forget about those awesome fuel pumps that Sh*&T the bed. There is not much fear riding a 250 or 300 around in comparison to a 450 thinking "is she gonna blow." If you want cheap easy fun its a no brainer. If you think your the next RC get yourself the 4 stroke lol. I see plenty if guys on 250 smokers getting it done. To each their own I suppose but personally Im just about over the 4 stoke nonsense. More moving parts higher cost of rebuild and thats if your lucky. Congrats to the factories for getting us all on board and slowly pushing the grass roots riders out due to sheer cost. Some unfortunate riders will tell you sometimes the entire motor is no better then a 100lb paper weight after it grenades. Yea thats REAL fun lol. 300 2 stroke motor sounds fun to me. As I said I do own a 4 stroke and I love it dont get me wrong. They do have there place for those with deep pockets.

Back