Amherst question

jhayes

PR Member
Amherst has a straight section in the back with 3 jumps (I believe 3) and the middle one looks the biggest. What is the distance of that big middle jump?

thanks

That jump was not better in the past, it was more dangerous. The landing was really short and always a big divot. Now, it is shorter, however much safer and 1000X more fun. The landing ramp has been stretched to allow riders to come up short w/o getting hurt. One might say that it separated men from boys etc., but there is nothing wrong with average riders experiencing nice air time. In the past there were several serious injuries off of that jump (Karnow being one of them). Amherst has done a great job making a track that is very fast and fun. There are WAY less ambulance runs now.

That jump was not better in the past, it was more dangerous. The landing was really short and always a big divot. Now, it is shorter, however much safer and 1000X more fun. The landing ramp has been stretched to allow riders to come up short w/o getting hurt. One might say that it separated men from boys etc., but there is nothing wrong with average riders experiencing nice air time. In the past there were several serious injuries off of that jump (Karnow being one of them). Amherst has done a great job making a track that is very fast and fun. There are WAY less ambulance runs now.

Safer yes by far but from the view of the bench racer the other jump was way better to "watch" when a rider hit that thing you just said wow. I agree the group running Amherst now is doing a great job just maybe alittle more water the night before so them berms hold together alittle better lol.

anyone know when they shortened up that jump? It seems to me that early last year it was still 100 feet or so...

+1 on the more fun before. i dont see how you could say its safer now.. if anything before you didnt have to jump the full 100+ feet...

now you are coming at a pretty big face WIDE OPEN and have to drag your brakes up the face of it and scrub so you dont flat land out in the middle somewhere... IMO thats more "dangerous" than launching the fulll 100+ feet or by jumping half way when it kind of had a 2nd hump in the middle.

and not to start problems but man.. 3 laps on saturday for 2nd motos? ouch!! I know they got a late start.. water line was broke or something.. understandable that kinda crap happens.. but man 3 laps?

seriously, we were out of there super early, no need to rush. and A class only had 5 laps, 4 in the second? The moto's were literally 6 minutes long, kinda short for a pro moto...

100ft if your landing at the top of the landing. You could jump to the bottom of the landing at 125ft. I think landing at the top is faster , but going long is much more fun. Youi Yooo

what is a youi yooo?

The 2nd set of motos on Saturday were cut back to 3 laps only because the water line was broken and un-repairable so it had to be capped off. The quads were set to run after the bikes and due to the amount of dust quads can generate on a track that didnt have adequate water, the decision to shorten the 2nd moto had to be made for safety reasons. Fortunatly that section of the track didnt get to dusty, but it is hard to predict that 5 hours earlier, and it wouldn't be fair to only shorten the quads moto laps.

picture was from late may last year.. sure did feel like 100 feet! took all day to get the nerve to hit that thing wide open 4th on my 250. blew out my rear rim coming up short a few times

30204_391733198217_510743217_4074901_4653832_n.jpg

The big jump started out at 120' and it's down to 80' from peak to peak. It was a nice size double, but we had complaints about it because of the speeds that you had to carry to make it, and if you came up short, it was broken bones. Since I don't ride, I keep my personal comment to myself. We built that 120' about 5 years ago and over time, the more incidents we had, the safer we tried to make it. I've had a lot of complaints and compliments both because of how "tamed down" the track is now. Now with 65's jumping the "big jump", it's safe and that's #1. I think we were considered more of a supercross track a few years back, but that unfortuneately had to go away due to a lot of issues.

We apologize about the short moto's due to the broken water line, but like mentioned, it would have been unfair to the quad riders to run less laps than the bikes. We get numerous complaints from the home owners around the track and of course the dust going across Rt 2 isn't safe so we had to do what was best for the situation. This weekend, the track conditions were absolutely the best I've seen in the past couple of years. I had numerous people come up to me and tell me that the track was awesome! Even with the broken water line and not being able to water a some of the track, we had minimal dust which was a blessing. After the rain real early Sunday morning, the time we spent to pull the dirt back in and seal the track Saturday night worked perfect for Sunday morning. The track conditions were even better than Saturday until the sky's opened up. Practice was incredible, but the track quickly diminished after the rain started. Thank you all for coming out, we appreciate you all very much.

Charlie

i will say the dirt was good. pretty soft made for some fun corners.. love the sand.. except it somehow always finds its way into my goggles/eyes lol.

The big jump started out at 120' and it's down to 80' from peak to peak. It was a nice size double, but we had complaints about it because of the speeds that you had to carry to make it, and if you came up short, it was broken bones. Since I don't ride, I keep my personal comment to myself. We built that 120' about 5 years ago and over time, the more incidents we had, the safer we tried to make it. I've had a lot of complaints and compliments both because of how "tamed down" the track is now. Now with 65's jumping the "big jump", it's safe and that's #1. I think we were considered more of a supercross track a few years back, but that unfortuneately had to go away due to a lot of issues.

We apologize about the short moto's due to the broken water line, but like mentioned, it would have been unfair to the quad riders to run less laps than the bikes. We get numerous complaints from the home owners around the track and of course the dust going across Rt 2 isn't safe so we had to do what was best for the situation. This weekend, the track conditions were absolutely the best I've seen in the past couple of years. I had numerous people come up to me and tell me that the track was awesome! Even with the broken water line and not being able to water a some of the track, we had minimal dust which was a blessing. After the rain real early Sunday morning, the time we spent to pull the dirt back in and seal the track Saturday night worked perfect for Sunday morning. The track conditions were even better than Saturday until the sky's opened up. Practice was incredible, but the track quickly diminished after the rain started. Thank you all for coming out, we appreciate you all very much.

Charlie

I thought you guys did a great job Scottie even said he had fun on the track except the berm down bottom before the finish he blew it out in moto 1 and in moto 2 of Schoolboy lets keep an eye on that berm next race lol just jk. He also said he misses the old big jump in the back but I understand why its gone. Again great job crew

The bottom of the hill we've been battleing all year long. We were trying to keep more water in the pond and made a few mistakes on the way. At the beginning of the year, we could have raced jet ski's down there, so that's still a project in the works. At one point, we were trying to figure out how to change the track to totally avoide the bottom of the hill, but with the hard work of quite a few of the members, we were able to get it decent enough to run! Again, thank you so much for the compliments, it really means a lot to most of us! See you at the next one and I'll make sure you know who I am to put a face with the name.

Charlie

Back