Full size van owners

freeh

PR Founding Father
Hey Guys,

Looking for some feedback on full size vans (passenger or conversion type, not cargo) as an option to haul two bikes and a family of four. I have had a couple of Fords, so I am familiar with them, but I am in the market for a new (used) vehicle as I am tired of lugging a trailer around every time I want to ride. I am leaning heavily toward getting a full size truck. My son and I are mostly practice day riders, so a truck will work fine, but vans are nice too. I just don't know about getting two bikes plus seating for 4 inside of one. Is it possible in the GM vans?

So what options are out there?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
I just sold my 2000 GMC Savanna full size van with 350 Chevy motor in it. Great for what you are speaking of, you can run the 2 captains chairs and first bench seat to seat 5 people easily.......... and full size bikes (3 max 2 in front and 1 in backwards) will fit in it just fine. Mileage was not great (normally 14MPG but could get 17MPG on the highway) but all of your stuff will fit inside and you have a warm dry place that locks to keep your stuff.

Same deal for Ford Vans, get a bench seat (or 4 captains chairs in Chateau Version) and you can have seating for 4 or 5 and still get two easily or 3 in a pinch full size bikes in the back. My Dad still has 2 Chateau vans and I use one in a pinch if needed. Make a Tie Down board to anchor to the back seat with tie down hooks and you're all set.

Zman has a 2003 Full Size Chevy 3/4 ton van set up for hauling bikes that he'd sell for $6000.00 or so, it also has a 6.0 liter engine for hauling heavy trailers / equipment for those that need a heavy duty van. He wants to get a Mercedes Sprinter van like mine for the future if you are interested in one.

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
currently selling my enclosed trailer and looking to get a van very soon also. would like an extended one but i think im willing to settle for a regular sized one at this point. just 1 bike these days and i dont have a family to haul around.

freeh

PR Founding Father
I just sold my 2000 GMC Savanna full size van with 350 Chevy motor in it. Great for what you are speaking of, you can run the 2 captains chairs and first bench seat to seat 5 people easily.......... and full size bikes (3 max 2 in front and 1 in backwards) will fit in it just fine. Mileage was not great (normally 14MPG but could get 17MPG on the highway) but all of your stuff will fit inside and you have a warm dry place that locks to keep your stuff.

Same deal for Ford Vans, get a bench seat (or 4 captains chairs in Chateau Version) and you can have seating for 4 or 5 and fill size bikes in the back. My Dad still has 2 Chateau vans and I use one in a pinch if needed. Make a Tie Down board to anchor to the back seat with tie down hooks and you're all set.

Thanks for the input. I have had two Ford clubwagons. They worked great with one bike, but seemed to be tough to fit for two bikes with everything else and still have the four seats.

Any idea on tow capacity of the GM vans? Also, any idea if you can get the extended version with four captains chairs?

wwracing

PR Addict
i tried it and hated it, its a pain to load, there never seems to be enough room for coolers popups,tools gear,gas cans etc, if the carb vents or gas can doesnt seal it always smells horrible, the only advantage i saw over a four door pickup was the security of it. just my .02 cents. a truck with a tall cap would be similiar to the best of both worlds.

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
There are different models of passenger vans out there in GM models too, the fanciest being leather trimmed seating with 4 Captains chairs. I'm not sure of the model names....... but depending on the motor configuration, you can tow anything with a GM van. I know Z man's 6.0 liter 3/4 ton van has something like 9800 lb towing capacity. My 1/2 Ton GMC with 350 was like 6,000 lbs tow capacity.

As far as getting two bikes in there easily......... it's all in the Tie Down Board. You cut a 2x12 board into full width of the van, and add Round Eyes in four spots on it and then use cum alongs to mount it to the front seats. Then you can put 2 bikes in there really simple. If you try to tie down directly to the seats...... you end up with a hard time.

The hard part is finding GM passenger vans, there isn't as many of them out there as Fords. But you can find a lot of 15 passenger 1 ton GM vans that were airport shuttle buses that are great for bike haulers. Plus you get the extended version that gives you more room for stuff. Use www.autotempest.com to do a search within your area of all used car websites to find what you are looking for. Chevy's are Express. and GMC's are Savanna model.

LinderRacing

PR Founding Father
I just switched to the van route this spring, from a truck and trailer and couldn't be happier! I got a 2008 e250 extended cargo van and put a divider wall in it and a fold down bench seat. divider wall is sealed real well. with a shelf on top for storage. Go to thumpertalk.com and search motohualers. There are some nice ones on there that gave me some great ideas for my own.

Bill480

PR Addict
If you want to fit people & bikes comfortably, you need an extended length van. I've had both. In a regular length E150 I had enough room to get a bench seat behind the captains chairs, but there wasn't much leg room at all. In my extended van I have a nice wall to separate the bikes from the passenger area. And there is a TON of passenger area.

The only gripe about loading is the lack of headroom is really annoying.. you hit your head/back a lot getting used to it. A hi-top would be ideal. Actually a sprinter would be ideal but my van was $1500. Tieing everything down is simple too, I use one strap that goes from the handlebar to the ceiling, holding the bike to the wall. And then another from the same bar to a d-ring in the floor. Very solid, the things never move and it doesnt compress the suspension at all.

And to the guy that said there's "never enough room" has to get better at packing. I have more room that I ever did with just a pickup truck, not sure how you would have any problems fitting everything. I keep my popup, portable grill, and air tank in the van all the time. Also bring gas cans, two huge gear bags, 2 450s, 2 tool kits, compressor, etc etc etc. Can live out of the thing if I had to!

Regular length van:

IMAG0322.jpg

Extended:

004-5.jpg

003-6.jpg

and here's a picture of the passenger area when it was still unfinished. Actually.. its still not finished but I at least got a pad for the top of those storage bins ;)

IMAG0027.jpg

John250

PR Founding Father
Vans are great if your a single rider. I just dont think for more than that or families that they are the way to go at all.

Bill480

PR Addict
Vans are great if your a single rider. I just dont think for more than that or families that they are the way to go at all.

I know of a few families that use a sprinter to haul with. One in particular is done up with 2 bunks in the rear for the kids, a fridge out of an RV, and enough room to haul 3 bikes. My van fits 3 full size bikes + gear + could haul 4 people comfortably. Don't think its any different than a truck and enclosed trailer.

BigYac

PR Member
Robin, what engine does your sprinter have and what sort of fuel mileage are you getting? Also, how much headroom and how long is the cargo area...assuming you have two rows of seats, I'd hope there is atleast 8ft.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I know of a few families that use a sprinter to haul with. One in particular is done up with 2 bunks in the rear for the kids, a fridge out of an RV, and enough room to haul 3 bikes. My van fits 3 full size bikes + gear + could haul 4 people comfortably. Don't think its any different than a truck and enclosed trailer.
I think I saw that one at briarcliff. Was a sick sick siiick setup.

Sprinters ain't exacly cheap. Don't know your budget though.
Small cargo starts at 35g.
High roof extended version start at 42g.

Bill480

PR Addict
They can be had used for around 10k. The merc diesel that comes in them is pretty solid as well.

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
I have the 2006 Sprinter which was the last year for the Mercedes In Line 5 Cylinder 2.7 Liter Turbo Diesel. Stay away from the 2007 - 2009 Sprinters as this was the first V-6 version of the diesel and it only gets 15 - 18 MPG. The 2010 and newer "Blue Tec" V -6 Diesels get about 19 - 21 MPG.

As for mine, I have consistently getting 22 - 23 MPG with my normal driving (city / hwy Mix) loaded with my bikes (2 full size and a 65) in there all the time. All Hwy running 60 - 64 MPH can get up to 28 MPG I've heard from other in line 5 cylinder owners, but I've not seen that out of mine and I never go that slow on the highway as I run about 76 - 78MPH all the time in the 70MPH zones. I have the 156" wheelbase with the long body and high roof, so with 2 rows of seating behind the drivers seat (I've got 4 captains chairs and 1 3 person bench seat) I still have 8.5 feet of floor space from seat to back door. It's not any wider than my GMC full size van as my Tie down board fit right in and goes edge to edge just like it did in the GMC. I could set it up differently to haul more bikes......... but it works just fine for my needs right now. And when I went to Loretta Lynn's towing my high and wide Hi point trailer loaded with golf cart, bikes, and everything else under the sun......... I got 16MPG down and back going 78MPH and loaded to the max.

It saves on fuel bigtime, but they hold their value used and are pricey compared to a used full size van. You can get a brand new Mercedes Sprinter Passenger van nicely equipped for about $43,000 if you are in the market.