Smith Rd.-- Next Generation... How would YOU revamp the track if you were drivin' the dozer?

LuckyStar64

PR Addict
OK-- So the new generation starts next week at Smith Rd. I dunno why, but I'm a little sad about the changing of the guard. After all-- I learned to ride there (not very well). IMO-- it's the Carlsbad Raceway of Ohio. On the other hand-- I'm a little excited that the track will have a much brighter future than that of the real Carlsbad Raceway (Industrial/office park).

So-- if it were up to you, how would you build the track?

I'd keep what's great about the track, the layout/s. I love the way that it changes direction, and layout week to week. I love that it's a track that anybody can ride-- on just about anything. MX bike, trail bike, vintage bike. I was there yesterday on a trail bike-- and had a great time.

The only thing I'd change about it would be to add some imagination to the obstacles. I'd put in sections that could be dubbed pretty smoothly by lesser riders, but could be done bigger by better riders. Another thing that would make sense would be to separate A/B riders from C/D/(F) riders if it gets busy. Say... 20 minute shifts?

I'd like to have the local dealers help sponsor the races with prizes and such. So much biz is done on the internet anymore-- it's so impersonal. I worked at J. Ferrell's in the pre- internet days. We had a pretty good rapport with, and were in touch with the local scene. It was nice to have Cycles R Us at the Medina fair race tossing out T- Shirts. I love races where there is an announcer commentating-- and maybe even music.

One more thing.... Get the Vintage National back!

That's my wish list. Anybody else? --L*64

Well it would be nice to "modernize" the track a little bit just to give some people a little more airtime than Smith Rd currently has. Don't get me wrong, I don't want death jumps, triples, step ups, etc........ that would make it too dangerous a track to ride on for the average Smith Rd type rider. Add a few nicely shaped table tops that are hard to clear right out of a corner that gives higher skilled guys something they can jump, and lower skilled guys another obstacle to work on without fear of injury.

Keep the multi directions and multi layouts changing each week, that's the best part of Smith rd as it's never the same place twice and you never get bored with the layout.

Also, make a larger more dedicated Peewee track for practice that can then be incorporated into the race track on the few race days. The kids are the future and giving them a bigger place to play will have more dads coming back to Smith Rd too.

Larry will have some great ideas to work with and hopefully he'll be able to make it new without losing the old feel of the place that has been around for so long.

I know this one probably wont happen but how about a couple Saturday or Sunday practices for those that can't make the Wed? Im sure there are issues with this but maybe 2 or 3 could be scheduled through out the year? Maybe something could be worked out?

I think rocket has a good idea, I dont go to Smith anymore becasue my kid is to big for their peewee track and not skilled enough for the big track, well he could make it around but would be in the way! If it had something for the peewees I would come back. Sports practice seems to always be on thursdays so we end up missing alot of Apple cabins as well.

Actually-- I think they WERE talking about Saturday practices for the rest of the year since it gets dark early. Dunno if it's doable though. I remember George saying that he had some Saturday practices a long time ago-- and only two guys showed up to ride.

I have no idea, but there may be restrictions as to what days they can run bikes on to keep the area neighbors in check.

I think it would be sweet to have a better Pee Wee track. The AC Pee Wee and pit bike tracks seem to be a huge hit. I think it makes future big track riders as well. Always good to look out for the next generation. --L*64

Actually-- I think they WERE talking about Saturday practices for the rest of the year since it gets dark early. Dunno if it's doable though. I remember George saying that he had some Saturday practices a long time ago-- and only two guys showed up to ride.

I have no idea, but there may be restrictions as to what days they can run bikes on to keep the area neighbors in check.

I think it would be sweet to have a better Pee Wee track. The AC Pee Wee and pit bike tracks seem to be a huge hit. I think it makes future big track riders as well. Always good to look out for the next generation. --L*64

We would be Saturday regulars without a doubt...starting tomorrow! Keeping our fingers crossed...

Agree w/Robin... The addition of some more "air time" w/o being death jumps would be a great addition.

Amazing how all those things I would have suggested have already been suggested!

A weekend pratice THAT INCLUDES QUADS, alternating every half hour. Remember, and schedule change will take some time before people, realize it exists. You cant announce it once a week before and expect a full turnout first time, especially for guys who typically don't race and arent part of the racer inner circle.

Add a few mild jumps, maybe tabletops, but nothing that will change its character or turn it into supercross.

As much as I love the track for me, I always hated the mini races on the cut big track. Eventually they even routed them around the two humps, and it became nothing more than a dragstrip with corners except for the six pack. I would incorporate some technical sections into the mini portion of the track that the big racers don't use, or as was suggested, incorporate the peewee practice track into their race course. Running the whole course topped out and weaving between trees is more dangerous than some small whoops and jumps, and a few extra corners.

A weekend pratice THAT INCLUDES QUADS, alternating every half hour. Remember, and schedule change will take some time before people, realize it exists. You cant announce it once a week before and expect a full turnout first time, especially for guys who typically don't race and arent part of the racer inner circle.

If they were to open it up to quads on weekends maybe try the format OIR's been implementing - bikes 1st half of day then quads 2nd half. That way each group gets their preferred surface. Would be nice to do on race days as well...easier said than done, I'm sure.

Lol I was gonna say that. They need to build and electric fence around all the lanes of the track so there is no track cutting and put armed guards at the entrance and exit of the six pack that will shoot anyone that tries to go around it.

Seriously though they it would be nice if they atleast reworked that rhythm section. Had a sat practice here and there so I could also come. If there was a way to some how widen the track which I don't think there is that would be awsome. Also I agree on busy days have split practices. That track is too cramped.

I don't thhink they should really change the track at all but make the things there that are kind of jumps into more of a jump like when you come out of the six pack and make that right. Or maybe put a little step up on one of te up hill sections.

Smith Road changes

Ok lets incorporate some things that would make it more challenging while using the elevation changes available.Move that friggin piece of metal over the sprinkler head on the tree in the turn between the uphill downhill I know a few souls who's fingers were mangled by it.If some trees have to go to so be it ,use a culvert and close in the creek so the track can utilize the elevation changes.Make the back end have some elevation changes around the lake.Take a D-6 level out the 6 pack and make something that can be maintained and has level faces so people learning about timing jumps don't have the unevenness to worry about.Make a track that prepares riders for moving up to the next level.Have a season pass set up if the track warrants it so families can go ride. Saturday practices would be great I can never make it home on time and come down.Help can be found I know a bunch of us riders are operating engineers and with winter coming many will be sitting at home.Good luck to the new owners .Any one else this is your chance to be heard?

I think with everything I have learned, I'm still an amatuer operator. Someday when Im old and tired of track stuff, I plan to put on a track building/prep clinic. Let the kids have a chance to learn the easy way rather than the hard way.

THE WHOOPS ARE GONE! Now a couple small table-tops.

Hard to see in pic, crappy rainy weather.

Attachments

• IMG_0511.jpg
    IMG_0511.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 327
Holy Crap....."THE WHOOPS" have been there since I started riding...And just like that they are gone.....Well atleast I got on tape 3-3....

Back