If you had a choice, and why?

pasimp57

PR Addict
Given the choice between the 2011 YZ 250f (naturally aspirated) or a 2012 Suzuki RMZ 250 (fuel injection) which would you choose, and why?

Carb because less hassles. If you put on a pipe you will need to re map the computer. Any motor mods will require that also. If you leave it bone stock then go for the fuel injection. The only other down side is the cost of fuel injection parts.

Carb because less hassles. If you put on a pipe you will need to re map the computer. Any motor mods will require that also. If you leave it bone stock then go for the fuel injection. The only other down side is the cost of fuel injection parts.

How reliable are the fuel injection bikes? Do they have issues after a while?

for ME my fuel injection experience has not been that great.. haven't heard much good or bad ffrom others though about it.

i think i would go with the RMZ, but only because i think its a better bike than the YZF. personal preference really though. the fuel injection/carbed thing wouldn't deter me in any way.

i put a pipe on my fuel injected CRF 450 and never had to change a thing with the mapping and have known quite a few other who have done the same thing on all 4 brands without changing mappings?

The Yamaha without a doubt. If your going to keep it more than a year or so, the Yamaha will stay tight and good. Suzukis start to rattle and feel worn out after a year or two.

I noticed the Suzuki comes with 3 different plug ins to change the mixture settings, leaner, richer etc. I also heard that Suzukis are the best turning bikes on the market due to their design, but I don't know. At some point we will have to move from the 125s so this info is good to know. I know my way around carbs, but don't know squat about FI. Maybe it's simpler than it sounds?

+1 on just mixing your gas lol...

I don't know anything about FI either and its becoming a pain every time something happens... I don't like not having the ability to work on my own stuff. I hate having to rely on other people or a dealer for bike work. Since day 1 growing up there has been very few times I've needed anyones help to fix a bike.. lately that hasnt been the case. stupid technology!!!

The FI is AMAZING when it works. Its so crisp like a 2 stroke... very fun and runs great. I put a pipe on and did not have to change my mapping. You *Can* to get full potential out of it, but it will still help adding the pipe w/out mapping.

FI is no big deal. Take care of things and keep them clean. Go with the Suzuki. The bike handles like no other and it isn't slow. It is easier to make a bike faster than to make it handle well. Nothing handles like a Suzuki!

the suzuki. ive had 2 FI bikes and had no problems. my 2011 i put a pro circuit pipe on and asked them what pre set map i should use (i have the kawi software tool) and they said leave it on stock setting. thats easy enough. and by now its not going to be hard to find someone that can remap the computer if need be.

I would go with the Suzuki only because every shoot out I read t has the Suzuki up front with the yz in the last. But everything I read online says the Yamaha is bullet proof so I guess it depends if you want a more reliable bike of not

Go with the Suzuki...I just sold my 2010 RMZ250,fuel injected that I never had any problems for 2 full seasons with and bought a 2012 RMZ250.I have owned pretty much every brand of 250F including Yamaha's and the Suzuki has probably been the best handling,corning and has the best engine of any of the other 250F's that I have owned.The Yamaha's reliablity is very good if not the best and now after owning my 2010 RMZ I would put Suzuki right there also.

Thanks for all the info guys. Lots of positives for both. If I click my heels together maybe the prices will come down :(

Given the choice between the 2011 YZ 250f (naturally aspirated) or a 2012 Suzuki RMZ 250 (fuel injection) which would you choose, and why?
I would go with the YZ. Yes that is what I ride. I have had Yamaha four stroke séance 03 when the 450 came out. Like John said, if you keep your bike for years. My 03 kept till 06 06 until 08. 450 and 250 I had. They never been apart for valves issue. They never had to be re shim. Yes the Suzuki is one of the best turning bike out their. Yes the Suzuki clutch basket makes noise the day you buy them. That just how they are. Go Yamaha.

The Yamaha without a doubt. If your going to keep it more than a year or so, the Yamaha will stay tight and good. Suzukis start to rattle and feel worn out after a year or two.

I personally don't buy into that line of thinking...between my 05 RM250 and 06 YZ250 it would rough to pick which one I liked better and dependability not a factor with either one. I personally think RMs corner better than anything else.

Oh, with FI...I thought that with something as simple as a pipe change that FI would account for the pipe change and there wouldn't be a need to remap. Same with elevation changes and temperature changes...am I off base thinking that way?

Same with elevation changes and temperature changes...am I off base thinking that way?

No you are not. I had to rejet my carburated bike a couple times a year with the changing seasons. FI fixes that. not only that, i had my CDI remapped for extended over rev. Can't do that with a carb now can you?

Back