Where were you today 10 years ago?

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
When I heard the news I vividly remember being in second period biology with lab. I was cutting into the under belly of a frog with a scapula. I don't remember when any of my other periods were or anything else from that day. Amazing how such atrocities can burn an image into your brain. I can only wonder what some veterans of war deal with on a day to day basis relating to vivid memories...

At first being 14 I was like oh the world trade centers...aren't those in japan? When my teacher said they were in new york. It literally took my breath away and I can say I was scared foe the first time in my life. . .truly gut scared. It just never fathomed my mind that the USA could be attacked. At 14 I thought this country was invincible.

Where were you on 9/11 ?

good topic, as im sure everyone will remember where they were for a very long time.

i was a freshman in highschool. so like you, i was kind of unsure where the world trade centers where. i know i was walking in the halls going to my next class (between health class and history) and heard the chatter "did you hear a plane crashed into a sky scrapper". then when the next one happened, i was sitting in that next class. and the principal came across the PA and announced the news to everyone about america being under attack and that they were discussing a possible "early leave" for everyone. (yes, thats how big headed massillon highschool is, they actually thought we might be under attack ourselves) we continued our day in school. i went straight home and watched the news pretty much all night. it took me quite awhile to understand what a "terrorist attack was".

I remember hearing the news on that bright, sunny day on my way to Lowes to pickup some painting supplies for the house my wife and I bought in preparation for the birth of our twins. After I got back from Lowes I just remember being glued to the TV for hours and thinking to myself what kind of world my children were going to have to live in....

I was sleeping... My buddy kept blowing up my phone, so I finally picked it up to see who in the hell was calling me incessantly. My bud asked if I saw what was happening on TV? I said-- "I'll see it when I wake up!" He said-- ya gotta check it out now-- you won't believe it. Right when I turned on the TV-- the second tower got hit. I was thinking-- "Wow! The $h!t is really hitting the fan today....!". I was out in my car later in the day, and every Arab I saw had American flags taped to their car windows... haha! --L*64

I was at work in the factory. Walked by a guy and he told me he just heard on the radio what had happened and a plane crashed in a field in PA.
Strange day all the way around.

I just started at GM, It was my second day there. I walked into the breakroom for first break and it was packed, everyone was watching the tv. I was thinking the new job wasn't going to last to long after that.

I was in recurrent flight training in Atlanta, was in the simulator when the first building came down. Walked out on break, and heard the news from another person in our class, and got to a TV in time to see the second tower fall. I couldn't believe what I was seeing... Who would have ever thought we'd be attacked in our own country?? We went ahead and finished our training, with someone ready to come tell us if any new news came out. We were the only ones that did, most of the rest were airline pilots and flight attendants, who had their classes delayed and many where furloughed following them attacks.

I was in the highest threat alert at Davis Monthan AFB, Tucson,AZ. I was active duty aircraft maintenance working on A-10 thunderbolts, and boy did my life change after that day and has been a hell of ride!

Sitting at my desk at work. I remember listening to a Boston radio station at the time. The show usually joked around allot, but when they cut right to the headline that a plane just crashed into the WTC, you could tell in his voice that this was no BS. I went home early and watched Tv for lunch. Whatta eff'd up day. It was bright sunny, just like today.

Was working on a house for Showcase Homes. Heard it on the radio. Being that I had served in Military I had traveled overseas several times, I Knew how big the planes were and the fact that it was a transcontinental flight I knew how much fuel was needed and that it had just taken off, it was full. I remember first talking to the other two younger guys, and expressed these facts, as they were half joking "as to how you could fly into a building". Told them that those were basically flying bombs. I was numb and chilled at the same time. I expressing concern and suspicions. We discussed weather or not this was accidental or an attack. After the second plane hit there was no doubt. and I was on the phone telling my wife to go home. she worked for local Gov't. I was thinking Oklahoma City at the time. We almost left ourselves, We really never accomplished much that day, and left early. I remember, on the drive home, thinking about WAR on our own lands and how this would impact the future. I was afraid for the future for my children, wife, and myself.
Reflecting back I think it is strange how I was disengaged, by analyzing the situation at work, and later on the ride home realizing the horror and tragedy more personally...

My brother and I went to beans road to practice that afternoon. On the way home every gas station we passed had lines to get fuel that were 20 cars long.

I was in Gahanna, Oh at the time. We went in a "lockdown" mode in fear that the electrical grid may be a target. I remember rounding up all my crews and sending them home. My most vivid memory was the fact that there were no planes in the sky when they shut down the airspace. Strange not seeing any air traffic in columbus. That night we were having a few beverages at Jacktown pub. We were watching the people across the street at a gas station, a mile long traffic in each direction. A guy cut the line and pulled up to the pump, got out and proceeded to fill up his car. The guy was in his 70s at least, the next guy in line jumped out of his truck, he only had one leg and began bouncing around to fight the old man. The old feller pointed the gas nozzle at him and was about to hose him down. Luckily it was broken up before it got ugly. A sad day, sadder to watch some of the bad come out of folks that only care for themselves. America survived, made us stronger and united us all in different ways. God bless this country and those that keep the peace. Matt.

Still doing the same thing that I was doing ten years ago. Mowing lawns. Ten years ago on a Tuesday morning. The world has change.

Sitting in the Edinboro University of Pa parking lot just listening to the radio in my car. Trying to understand what had happened and praying for safety of those innocent people. Remember thinking the sky was just so blue and clear.
later talked to a co worker at coca cola in meadville who had been in hermitage Pa and saw flight 93 fly over where he was delivering.
what a scary and sad day! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

Back