Anyone running Golden Spectro in their 2 strokes?

loneranger171

PR Addict
A buddy of mine just got an 06 YZ125 and the previous owner said he was running Spectro 50 to 1 in it...that seems like not enough oil getting to the engine...is anyone running the same combination ? Thanks.

I didn't use that brand of oil, but I ran 50:1 in a couple 2 strokes I had. I think I was running 40:1 in the last cr250 I owned.

I spoke with Eric Gorr while my motor was getting worked on. He uses Golden Spectro at 40:1. He said that oil isn't as big of a deal as it used to be in the 70's & 80's and there are plenty of quality oils out there.

I remember reading an article in Motocros Action testing oil. They noted that 40:1 was the best ratio for mixing citing ring seal as the reason.

I think this was discussed on her just a few months ago. Still the same unanimus conclusion 40 to 1. Don't know about Spectro for sure, but I would say, that's a good place to be for Ratio.

Don't alot of manufacturers put little ratio recommendations on the bottle? I swear I've seen some that say something like 32:1 -40:1 for 125s, 40:1 - 50:1 for 250s and 50:1 for 500s. I think as long as your getting a good brand name two stroke oil 50:1 would be fine for a 125, my YZ 125, KDX 200, and KX 500 all ran fine on SuperM at 50:1. The motors all were fine when taken apart. If for some reason you're not comfy with 50:1 then try 40 or 32:1 and adjust jetting if needed.

Golden Spectro 40:1 never a problem. An old habit of mine is I only mix 2 gallons at a time. I have several small gas cans. I put a black tie wrap on the handle if it has oil, white for race gas, or both for both. No tie wrap tells me it just 93. Another old habit I color code tools, red tape for 8mm, black for 10, blue for 12 white 14. There was a time when I could see good enough, it's easier with colors.

Back