Tacoma...

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Thinking about picking up a newer 06-11 Toyota Tacoma access cab 4x4 4 cyl manual. Was wondering if any of you have one and how are they are on gas? Are they appropriate for a 1-2 bike weekend practice day race buggy? Or too cramped?

I had an '07 Access cab 4x4 V6, got 21-23 mpg on the highway, depending on what I was carrying (bike or not), and whether or not the a/c was on. Might drop to 20 with both. I hear that the 4cyl./5-speed isn't much better because the heavier truck and less power. I have a double-cab longbed V6 now and get 20 with bike in the back and a/c on. The older Tacomas were smaller and lighter and the advantage would be there in them. 2 bikes with gear bags and stuff for the day shouldn't be too much an issue, but you'll need to have the tailgate down and something to keep your stuff in. Tiedowns or bungee cords are the easy way, a bed extender is a little better, but more work on and off.

I wouldn't tie bikes down to the Toyota rail system, I was never all that confident in the security of it with just one bike, let alone two. If you watch it, you'll see it flex alot, and it is only plastic, with the standard tiedowns rated to 200#. I use a Yotarack, which attaches to the rail with it's own hardware, spreads the weight around the rail, and provides wheel chocks and tiedown rings for bikes. www.yotarack.com There is also a means of adding tiedown rings to the front corner of the bed floor, it's a cheaper way to tie things down. The bed on the 06-11 Tacomas is a plastic or composite, to combat the rust issues they had in previous years (99-01??), so it is hard to drill and secure anything in it as well, plus it is weird shaped over the top of the bed sides, and no stake holes to mount tiedowns in. There is alot of info on www.tacomaworld.com about everything to do with Tacomas.

The cab space behind the seats is good, I've had my adults kids sitting back there for short rides with no big issues, so storing stuff behind it is easy. Seats in back are forward facing, so leg room is limited. With the seat back comfortably, I could put my gearbag, toolbox (a big one), and other stuff back there, and it was below the window.

I have a 2009 crew cab 4x4 and have had no problems with it. Good gas milage and I even tow a 7x12 dual axle trailer with it. I do agree with MX pilot the rail system is crap. TO save $ instead of buying a new rail system I bought extra D-ring hooks and installed them on the bed floor under the existing star screws and extra toyota rail system hooks, with one bike I use the two d-rings on the bed floor with two bikes I use one d-ring hook and one rail hook for the outside handle bar and one rail system hook for the inside ( so threee tie downs for each bike) it is kind of a pain sometimes so if you have the cash you may want to purchase the yotarack.

I have an '07. I had an '05 before that. I haven't had any issue with the tie down rail system, BUT my clutch pedal stuck to the floor on my way to Amherst last night, with 67K on the odo-- it's not under warranty. The AC stopped working at 40K, just outside the bumper to bumper warranty, and the thing is rusting excessively despite being undercoated since new. I'm not particularly happy with it-- it's a disappointment to say the least. --L*64

ford-f-150-3.jpg

Had an older Tacoma w/ V6 5-spd. Didn't matter if I drove like I had 2 hrs to get to Church on Sunday or 20 Minutes late to work on Monday. Got 18 MPG. dead on, But had plenty of pep. Have an older 4cyl. 5-spd now, getting 23MPG. Does OK, but you can tell when you get loaded up though esp on long hills, may have to drop down to to 4th or even 3rd sometimes w/ 2 bikes and gear but I can live with it. Pulling a trailer no more than 10 Foot is do-able on very rare occasions but not recommended.
OH and both 4X4's. So for the MPG, I love the 4Cyl. as long as its matched up w/ Manual transmission. I would imagine an automatic would not cut it.

I've always had great luck with toyotas.

Had a pickup with 280000 miles.(bought it with 105000)Traded it for a 4 runner (bought it with 120000)took that one to 200000 and my dad totaled it on his way work one morning. Never totaled a vehicle in his life. Then I got a Lexus es300 (bought with 140000) and it has 205000 no rust no dashboard lights. Ac blows ice cold. . .gonna drive that puppy to the junkyard.

My dad bought a f150 in 08 brand new (0miles) and it has more problems than all my toyotas combined. And with only 60000 miles.

Both of mine have been great, and I've been lucky to have 2 good dealers for those issues I did have.

Back