KLX 110 help

pasimp57

PR Addict
KLX 110 with 4 speed drum Stuck in 3rd gear. Any ideas as to what it might be. Have a chance to buy a motor and need to know what I might be in for before I jump in.

bent shift shaft or bent shift fork.... If its not leaking any oil from the cases, you could have someone take it appart and replace the problem for cheaper than buying a motor. I know a mechanic who specializes in pitbikes, lol.

Problem is my son loosened the drain plug on the KLX but forgot that upside down is opposite when wrenching. Needless to say he pulled so hard he not only stripped the threads, he broke the spud that the screw goes into. So there's a used motor that I can get cheap while I repair this one. If its something simple like a shift fork or shift shaft then I'm okay. I don't know what else there might be in a KLX 110. I'm assuming it's the same as every other bike, but assumption is 9/10ths of the mistake. I appreciate the help.

No problem! I would split the cases then inspect. If it is possible I would weld and re-tap the drain plug hole to avoid the headache and cost of new kawi cases. When we have shifting issues on our Klx's and have ruled out clutch adjustment it is usually a bent shift shaft or fork. Unless it is on ne of our big HP motors, then we see all kinds of things grenade! lol.

theres a few parts on those those are known to break. i have one apart right now actually. i have a bunch of spare parts. how far are you from canton?

If it has a Takegawa aluminum 4 speed drum in it, and it gets crashed reasonably hard, and the shifter takes a hit-- I've seen this problem before. If it has an OEM/BBR drum, it's prolly a bent shift fork. IMO-- the Tak drum is bogus. When you do get back into the motor, run a 2010+ shift drum, and shift star. It'll give it a 1 down shift pattern. Might as well upgrade to a 2008+ output shaft while you're at it. --L*64

Pete, you can get new cases cheap from Kawasaki. We had to replace CJ because the top engine mount cracked. I think cases and all new bearings was under a hundred if I remember correctly. The motor is really easy to work on too

Thanks. I'm going to work on it next week. If I can't get to it I have someone that can. I put together a ratchet and socket with marks on it so he can't do it again. At least he stripped the bike down and took the motor out. Driving me crazy without this pitbike to ride.

Pete, you can get new cases cheap from Kawasaki. We had to replace CJ because the top engine mount cracked. I think cases and all new bearings was under a hundred if I remember correctly. The motor is really easy to work on too

Shift star

Shift star more than likely has a pin broken off (real common with stock shift stars). Do yourself a favor and buy a billet or hardened one. $40. You don't have to split the cases to check. You just need to pull clutch cover off and look at it. It is in the upper left hand side of the motor under the cover. It should have 5 pins on it. I fairly sure you will see one missing.......

Back