Which boots are better?

LuckyStar64

PR Addict
I've been wearing Alpinestars Tech 8's. IMO-- there are NO better boots available. They have the inner slipper inside the boot. Now my beloved 'Stars are completely whooped at this point, and I have a brand new pair of Fox Pro boots sitting around that I was thinking of breaking in and wearing. They DON'T have the booty things inside-- they're just straightforward boots.

Are the Fox boots I have sitting here any good? Are the inner booty boots better than the boots w/o the booty? I wear a really small size- 6 and 1/2, so I can generally swoop up good deals on Ebay on the sizes that don't fit anybody but me. Do I put the Fox boots on Ebay as new with tags, and get another pair of 'Stars? Or do I break in the Fox's and wear those? ---L*64

i would go with the Astars. they are by far the best boot money can buy IMO. i have always used them and always will. i do not plan on buying another brand when i need a new pair unless my wallet tells me i have to.

If the Fox boots are F3s or the previous pro level boot, I've always liked them. My kid had Astars and said the Fox boots were as good feeling, and better in some regards. I don't have a first hand opinion, I've always had Fox or Gaerne.

I've not had really good luck selling boots on eBay, as the weight for shipping adds up quick. That coupled with their new policy of "final value fee includes the shipping in the calculation" will have you losing money fast. And they don't bring much. I sold $300 boots for $150 used (in really good shape) at the track, that I see not bringing $100 on eBay. I guess if you're not looking for new prices, you could try it.

How do you know which generation of Fox boots they are? These are from around 2007, but still new. I'm always on a budget for the most part, but I'd hate to get hurt due to crappy gear. --T

I think the ones from '07 are Pro Formas, the F3 came out a little after (I think). They usually have the name on the velcro tab at the top. My Pro Formas did and F3s now do. If they don't, they are likely the entry level boot, which are good, but no where near the level of F3/Tech 8/SG10. Fox Comp 5s are OK, but still not on that level.

If the Fox boots are F3s or the previous pro level boot, I've always liked them. My kid had Astars and said the Fox boots were as good feeling, and better in some regards. I don't have a first hand opinion, I've always had Fox or Gaerne.

I've not had really good luck selling boots on eBay, as the weight for shipping adds up quick. That coupled with their new policy of "final value fee includes the shipping in the calculation" will have you losing money fast. And they don't bring much. I sold $300 boots for $150 used (in really good shape) at the track, that I see not bringing $100 on eBay. I guess if you're not looking for new prices, you could try it.

I am in the market for new boots this fall, how do you rate your experience with Gaerne as far as comfort, protection and overall durability ???

I've used Gaerne's for 8 or 9 years, and love them. I've been wearing SG 10's, and think they're great. Seems most people have to get new Astars b/c the sole wears out. My gaernes have never wore out a sole, and I only replace them b/c after a couple years, the ankles start to get a little too much flex for my liking.

My family is totally with Jon on the Gearne's. There is 4 of us and 3 of us wear the sg10. The only reason the 4th doesn't wear them is because she is 4'11" and struggles with the back piece on those boots since her legs are short. My husband and I have had our boots for a good full 3 season plus and the soles are still in great shape. My husband has wore astars in the past and wears the soles out in 1 season. I have wore fox boots, loved them and they were comfortable but completely fell apart in one season. I wore astars but also had the soles wear out of them. The gearne's are the most comfortable I have ever worn. Def won't be switching next time I get a pair of boots.

I've used Gaerne's for 8 or 9 years, and love them. I've been wearing SG 10's, and think they're great. Seems most people have to get new Astars b/c the sole wears out. My gaernes have never wore out a sole, and I only replace them b/c after a couple years, the ankles start to get a little too much flex for my liking.

+1

I had SG10's and loved them. Just got SG12's and they are the most comfortable boots I have had. Hardly any time required to break them in and they really last long.

Fox pro comp boots always wore out quick for me. I've been on my tech 8s for five years. I gotta replace the soles but man are they great. Great support even after this many years.

Back