Clutch problems?

freeh

PR Founding Father
I have an 09 YZ450F. Recently it started stalling when put into gear at idle, and some times when cruising through the pits at low speed. Any thoughts? I am thinking the clutch is just getting worn.

Thanks for any help.

Maybe try turn up the idle. I have a 08 and it still has the regoriginal clutch in mine. I know if i idle in high gear in the pits mine stalls.

My 09 has at least 200 hours on it, original clutch. No problems. If the idle doesnt work look at the basket and check for grooves.

Happen to have a complete Yamaha new in box clutch kit part #2S2-W001G-10 in stock at my house. PM if intersted.

Change your oil and filter. Very old or dirty oil will adversely affect the clutch. Creating excess friction causing drag or poor lubricating properties causing the plates to heat and swell, causing drag.
also make sure you have proper free travel adjustment at the lever, to ensure the clutch does not slip causing heat swelling leading to excess drag.

Idle should be about 1900 - 2100 RPM closer to the 2100 is better.

I have an 08 yz450f that I bought used from a vet a class rider. It only had 30 hours on it when purchased, of which I have proceeded to add to greatly this year. However on my first woods ride of the year, I smoked the clutch to the point that when in high rpm's the clutch would slip like it was its job. Over the next few days I tore apart the motor, took out the old clutch, checked for excessive wear marks on the basket and pressure plate, and installed a new clutch. The new clutch last about 20 hours and it gave in to the ghost too. I run slack in the lever so that the clutch engages at roughly 1/2-3/4 pull, but yet my bike burns up clutches. On the second clutch install, I opted to install a heavier flywheel, which has made the clutch last roughly 40 hours and counting. I change the oil every 6-8 hours, and oil filter every two oil changes, use Klotz MX4 oil, but at the end of the day, I strongly believe that there is something mechanically incorrect with the way the clutch operation works on my 08 450.

I figured it was a pull ratio problem, so I tried different brand cables and perches, and all yielded the same result of smoking my clutch. At the end of the day, I am very happy with the bike and the addition of a heavier flywheel. It hasnt solved my issue of going through clutches, but it has prolonged my clutch replacement by 3 times as of right now. Mx bikes are very particular beasts, and they require maintenance on a frequent basis. Some people who do not use their clutch to shift may get 100+ hours on a clutch, but I prefer to burn up a clutch than take a chance at ruining a tranny by power shifting. Just my thoughts.

webbmx7, That sounds a lot like the problem some '05 and '06 YZ 125s had. Except on the 125 the clutch could be adjusted so it worked (though not well) without slipping but eventually the actuator rod and bearings were compromised. hershey came up a fix by replacing the inner hub and pressure plate. If those parts aren't right to start, they wear prematurely and new clutch pack won't ever work right. It's a fairly cheap and easy fix too.

Back