Ohmx

We would have to actually run one to be considered in the running for the next great flop.

Based on the interest on here, I wouldn't add KOC to that list. I bet (and hope) that works out for you. Sounds like a great idea. Best of both worlds as far as practice and racing.

The only way I could see racing a series is if they offered open practice te day before. 10 dollars to practice if you sign up to race Sunday otherwise 20 to practice. And not a 4 hour schedule. I'm talking 9am to 5pm. Overnight camping and races start at 9 or 10 sharp Sunday morning for the entire series at all tracks involved.

ya that was already supposed to happen...(OMG) that made it like what 1 or 2 rounds??

feels like motocross in ohio is dead. its sad.

ya that was already supposed to happen...(OMG) that made it like what 1 or 2 rounds??

feels like motocross in ohio is dead. its sad.
the OMG thing was a completely different situation.
but either way, your right it does feel like motocross in ohio is dead... as far as racing atleast.

Motocross in Ohio is not dead…..not by any means.
Actually, I think it’s the exact opposite.

There are so many riders in Ohio that every Tom, Dick and Harry with 5 acres of land thinks they can make a buck by throwing a few tires in a field and calling it a track.
There are so many tracks in Ohio that riders complain if they’re expected to travel more than 30-45 minutes.
In Ohio,we have the opportunity to race Friday, Saturday and Sunday (and Fair racing is not even included).
Last weekend there were over a dozen places open for riding in Ohio….
Fragmented?, yes…….But Dead?, not even close..

eh maybe you're right.. but as far as i remember its ALWAYS been that way since I started. Yet a few years back there were always way more bikes on the gate, even w/ so many options... thats what makes me think its more "dead" than before

According to MX Sports, there were a record number of riders trying to make it down to Loretta Lynn’s Ranch this year.

I think that our infatuation with Big Time Media nowadays (internet, video’s, TV…ect) has taken Johnny Local racer away from the backyard tracks in an effort to chase the limelight.

That said, I believe the customers are there…it’s the product offerings that seems to not align very well right now.

I think that the scene has changed for the better. There are sooo many opportunities to ride these days, compared to years ago. When you wanted to ride a prepped track 20 years ago, you had to go to a race. Now-- I think that there are guys who aren't really racers per se who can just go to a track to ride, where they would have had to attend and race a race previously. I think it's a matter of riders being riders, and racers being racers.

We have choices now. That's a good thing. Ya get alotta guys like me who love riding dirt bikes, but quit racing for whatever reason. We're still riding bikes, supporting the scene, and having fun long after we opt out of racing. Most of us started out riding bikes just for fun. We didn't start out trying to take on the world. We tend to think that we are "practicers". I don't think that would be accurate, b/c that would mean that we are practicing so we can become more proficient racers. It's more that we ride just to enjoy a session of riding bikes. I don't know why it's hard to understand. I guess unless you're a trail rider-- it's assumed that you would be a racer. I don't see anything wrong with just being a "dirt bike rider". ---L*64

You put a race series....With the practice on Sat for 10 bucks like crute says..Camp and race sunday....Put together the tracks...Dirt-world,OIR,Briarcliff,Wrmc and beans....One race a month to get it started.....I bet it would take off.....You need the right person to Run and start it....JO is the man..He rides,he listens to riders,He promotes his track like crazy and backs it up...He puts on different events at his place....He is willing to HELP out other tracks..COCR....He is the guy I believe to turn it around..I know he has talked about this a number of times....WHEN THE TIME IS READY he will go ahead and start something.......MotoCross is not dead in ohio..Its run by the wrong people,With old school thinking...JO is new school....there are a number of tracks that everyone love.....Put them together.....I mean CRA gives up on OIR,Thats all you need to know about the CRA.

Motocross is far from Dead in Ohio. It's different for sure than it used to be, but not dead. There are still plenty of guys from Ohio riding and racing. I, for one, only race a few times per year at tracks that I like and know will have riders to race against. Here's my races this year.

1. Crow Canyon LL Qualifier - Just to get entered in the regional.
2. Red Bud D14 race on a Saturday - A few gate drops before the regional for practice
3. Red Bud Regional - My LL race of the year to make the show.
4. Loretta Lynn's - The big show........ what I train, practice, and ride for.
5. Red Bud Vet Fest - My most fun race of the year that I enjoy.
6. Smith Rd Labor Day race - Just out to show George Singler that I appreciate his 40+ years of giving me a place to ride.
7. High Point Vet National - Another Vet Race that I enjoy, although this years race was a poor rendition of it's glory days

That's it. I wouldn't normally race Smith Rd, but as a thank you to George, I did that one and I usually race about 6 times per year. Mostly outside of Ohio. Why? Because the tracks aren't as good as the tracks I choose to race at and the competition isn't as good as the tracks that I go to.

Do I ride practice........... YES. A ton, I ride at Smith Rd and Apple Cabin nearly every week they are open. I ride a Briarcliff a few times on the weekends, I ride at Beans Rd too. I trail ride with old guys up in Michigan. I ride a lot.......... just not racing. Racing has taken a back seat in my life due to the lack of reward it provides on a weekly basis for the time involved. I don't enjoy getting up at 4am on Sunday morning to drive 2 hours or more to get 10 laps total per class on a track with 3 other riders in my class and get home at 10pm at night. I want more for my dollar and time and that's where the practice tracks come in....... I'm trying to get ready for 20 minute Plus motos at Loretta Lynn's and running a 6 minute moto at my local dustbowl doesn't help me at all. Running 30+ minutes at Briarcliff in the heat of the summer at a WFO pace with faster / slower guys out there at the same time is helpful to me. I'm looking to race a few times a year and I want to make them count!

That said, I like to ride my bike too. I ride for exercise and enjoyment. I'm headed up to Northern Michigan next week for 3 days of riding in the woods on trails for 8 hours a day. I enjoy this just as much as I do Loretta Lynn's and they are completely different. I just like to ride and this is fun to me too.

So motocross isn't dead........... just a little different than it used to be in the days when everyone was racing all the time. Our plethora of choices give us many opportunities to find out what makes it fun for us and how to get it done.

i think its just the news of tracks closing, dealerships closing, racing organizations ending that makes it depressing and seem dead.

Back