Flushing Brakes

Not surprising ..... And I mean that in a good way !

Seriously I only flush it when taking the system apart for some reason or if I am having trouble with the braking.

Anyone ever notice a difference going to steel braided lines vs. stock?

We put them on an XR650R motard. We also put an oversized disc on at the same time, so I can't say much about the brake power change, but the lever seemed to have a better feel as you applied more pressure under hard braking. That wasn't in MX, but I would imagine the results would be similar.

Yes...I usually change my front brake line,the stock plastic ones seem to make the brake feel spungey when they get really hot.

Absolutely. Had steel lines front back and wave rotors on my 04 race 250f. My 08 with stock lines doesn't work as nice. Once you get equipment with no spongeyness it's so hard to appreciate stock. This winter I'll be changing my lines on the pinger. Brake pedal response is phenomenal. I like a very tight quick foot brake that requires minimal effort with my feet. Steel provides this consistently the whole season.

Pit, I went to a braided "Honda-route" front line on my YZ426 (with the stock rotor and fresh OEM pads). Used Bel-Ray Super DOT 4 fluid. Huge difference in feel and power. I can easily outbrake 250Fs and 125s!

I bleed my system once a year the old fashioned way, by hand.

Absolutley! Even being a turtle, I noticed a huge difference. The brakes worked so much better it actually changed the suspension going into turns and helped to turn better. Great stuff.

The best tool though is a vacuum brake bleeding system regardless of the line type or make up. It is amazing how much air you can never get out... Use it when the brakes start getting spongey feeling. 2-3 times a year.

I only change it if the lever starts to have some sponginess to it. If you're comparing new to new with the only difference being the line-- I'd say that the limits of traction between the ground and the tire would be reached well before the limits of the plastic brake line could be a factor.

On a pavement oriented machine--- the steel line does offer a slight advantage, but moreso after the brakes get hot. I don't know that the brakes heat up enough due to the lower speeds of dirt riding. (less friction than the high speeds on pavement) I guess it depends on who you are as a rider (some riders are alot heavier than others too-- haha!), and what tracks you ride. I've seen "C" riders making brake line mods that they will get absolutely zero benefit from. I'd save the money to put towards another RM125 or RM250 if I were you.

Note-- this is coming from an individual with very limited riding skills, but who does have alot of experience with crashes most likely related to poor braking techniques over the years. --L*64

Back