Vonage

The guy I fly with uses it, he has relatives in Israel, so has it to save money. Not sure how it all works, but I think he can use to save on his calls on the road to home too. If you want me to ask for more info and PM you, let me know.

Looked into it but it doesnt help you in a 911 call. Seems super cheap, but with cell phones these days why not just get the local phone company? Or opt out completely.

Only reason I'm getting a home phone is for my security system.

I havent had a home phone in almost 10 years. The only people who called it then I didnt want to talk to anyway !

I do not have good cell service at my house and have to actually walk out into my driveway to use my cell.
I work from home once a week and require a home phone for dialing into conference calls. Currently I have Verizon local service.

i'd look into getting one of the signal booster things.. call your cell company and explain the issue.or if it is a work phone, talk to your telecom ppl and maybe they can issue one? We've gave them to a few of our people at home w/ those problems...

i don't tihnk ill ever have a home phone.

I have a Micro Cell thru ATT, maybe Verizon has it too. Same signal issue with mine here. Although all this doesn't help with your conference calls if they have to be a home phone/landline.

It's a tough thing. I have a nice speakerphone setup at home that works good for conference calls. My Droid sucks in comparison, unless I could get some sort of speaker dock that would improve the quality when using it as speaker phone.

I'll check into the booster, regardless of situation would be nice to have my cell working better at home.

Doesn't anyone else use Google Voice? It's 100% free and if you need to make long distance calls from a land line it can't be beat. Short video here explains how it works better than I can.

I have Vonage. It's 16.83/ month for my plan. that's out the door, down the road, tax title included. It's the "US & Canada 300" plan. We don't use our land line more than a couple hours a month so it fits us fine. There are a couple other Voip companies out there that do about the same thing for about the same price. The "700" plan is about twice as much so, depends on how much you plan on gabbing I guess.

I've had Vonage for a couple years now. I have their 500 minute plan which is around $20 month total. There is no long distance for US, Canada, and alot of Europe and other places. My wife can call her family in the Philippines for like 9 cents a minute. You need a high speed internet connection, and you can enroll on their website.

As for 911 service, at the time you setup an account, you are also prompted to register your number in the 911 system which I have done, so that if I call 911, they will know from who the call came, and the location. If you don't register, you will not be in the 911 system. You also get caller ID and voicemail just like a cell phone service.

For me it worked out that I could get Vonage phone service along with Roadrunner internet for about the same price as a land line, so if you are on a phone line based internet service its a major step up.

Back