Going CR500 hunting...

baxterj787

PR Addict
Found a 00 model close to home today. Going to check it over Wednesday after work. If it comes to fruition, this will be my FOURTH CR500! Briarcliff will be off the hook next year! Anna might be a handfull this winter though.

Yikes. Special waiver for you, and if you loop it, you're on double secret probation. Since its your fourth one, sounds like you have under control though.

The two years I raced Summit County was kind of fun. Left the line in second, clicked third about halfway down the chute, then left it in third for five laps. Imagine riding a 65 hp automatic. The bike just idles around (especially with a 140 lb rider).

It's kind of like ADD, but with two wheels. I'll buy a bike, use it for a while, then re-sell for basically what I have in it. I actually enjoy working on them and bringing them back from a neglected state. The pipeline for those projects has dried up since Southside Honda went out of business.

Regarding the 500, I have had serious regrets about letting my last one one go back in 2005. Since moving and selling my old house, I am fortunate enough to have spare $ to pick up this one. Yes, I will have to move another bike out of the stable. I will keep it off of the classifieds here.

Jason was one of the last of a breed at Kenworthys on his 500s. tooth pick thin, looked like he weighed in at a buck twenty five........riding a CR 500.....gotta love a guy that likes horse power!

I've known Jason for over 25 years. I've seen him ride/race the gamut of bikes. He likes/loves the 500's and knows them like the back of his hand. The only worry about one being looped out is if he has me ride it to get it warmed up for him.........=)

Nope, not it. That one is a 93. The one in my sights is a 00. The 00 has basically the same suspension parts as the 00 - 07 CR125s (different valving, same structural components). It can be made to work. The 93s were, well, hopeless. That one is clean, but overpriced for a 93. More tomorrow. I will see the 00 tonight!

Come on Jason, you know the '93 motors were more powerful than the '00 The big difference being the suspension.

@MXRacin746: The motors were identical from 1991 onward. In 1993, they changed the transmission ratios (same motor, though). From 1993 to 2001, the motor / trans were identical. Only changes in part #s were due to changes in vendors.

The bike is coming home!

I haven't loaded pics onto Pit before. I have 1 pic as of right now. If I can figure it out in the next day or so, I'll hang one up.

First impressions: Cables will need replaced, as they have never seen lube. Gearing is way too low; 13/53 now vs 14/48 stock. The 15 oz (!) Steahly flywheel weight is coming off. It starts easily, idles and yes, it has pretty good throttle response. Straight FMF exhaust, subframe, radiators. It needs some TLC and a lot of setup, but is in overall solid mechanical condition. It also has zero stickers. This is going to be FUN!

Back