First jump ever hit? what bike?

TCracing

PR Addict
Ran across an add reminded me of my first bike and first jump.
Was a Honda z-50 mini. Handlebars curved back over the triple clamps.
Hit a hump that was along the side of the driveway about 18 inches high, 3rd gear pinned. All the way around the front yard. TOO bad I don't remember it. KNOCKED me out cold! (second time ever getting knocked out)

I remember heading for it and next thing I know I'm on my back looking at clear blue sky listening to my older sister screaming and my older brother repeating my name. LOL!
I was trying to impress a girl that was with my older sister BTW. YEAH!!! FAIL!!! LOL.

I was on a 2001 XR650R. First bike. I was riding in some strip mines back in PA and came across a little worn out double. Started rolling over it and then started blipping the throttle a little. Next thing I knew I was over it. Hardly fair to call it a double though. Pretty small gap!

i used to break the frame on my little 3.5 hp mini bike all the time hitting this "jump" aka different of cement/gravel driveway that id luanch probably 8 inches in the air from.. when i was like 4.. lol.. not sure that that counts

Cobra 50. Double jump after pymatunig holeshot raceway finish before the old left hander into the camelback. Man did I think I was the shiot when I saw big bikes rolling it.

i used to break the frame on my little 3.5 hp mini bike all the time hitting this "jump" aka different of cement/gravel driveway that id luanch probably 8 inches in the air from.. when i was like 4.. lol.. not sure that that counts

It counts cos mine was over a coal hole at pit hills on a puch moped.

It was on my first bike, 1981 KX-80. Dad bought it and was pretty clapped but still ran. I used to come up this small hill and hillsville in second gear and get a good 8 inches. When he fixed it I hopped on and ignored my dads warnings about it being more powerful. Well going up the hill something happened which would later be explained to me as "the powerband". I flew probably 2 feet 8 inches up! Does not sound like much but it was, my short life flashed before me and I felt I was looking down from an airplane. Scared the crap out of me. Once I regrouped I hit it in third.

Ran across an add reminded me of my first bike and first jump.
Was a Honda z-50 mini. Handlebars curved back over the triple clamps.
Hit a hump that was along the side of the driveway about 18 inches high, 3rd gear pinned. All the way around the front yard. TOO bad I don't remember it. KNOCKED me out cold! (second time ever getting knocked out)

I remember heading for it and next thing I know I'm on my back looking at clear blue sky listening to my older sister screaming and my older brother repeating my name. LOL!
I was trying to impress a girl that was with my older sister BTW. YEAH!!! FAIL!!! LOL.

Didn't Chris Cagle make a country song about this, "The Chicks Dig It"?

It was on my '78 YZ125. There was a service road between a field of coal slag where we rode, and mounds of slag on the other side of a dried up pond. The road went through the middle of the pond, and was about 10 ft above the dried up pond bed. I'd ride through the pond bed about 2nd or 3rd gear and hit the road and flat land it on the other side. First time I did it I swear I went about 20 to 25 feet high, when I landed I hit my nuts on the tank and bent the bars all the way down, but my friends and I were laughing so hard it didn't seem to matter. I did it again three more times until the stock bars bent down too far.

I came up in the '70's... anybody as old as me KNOWS what that means. It means you LIVED for Evel Knievel, and the ABC Superbikers events. Don't forget that we had console TV sets with no remote controls to change the 5 channels we had. No internet either. So-- the first jumps I ever hit were on the sidewalk in the cul-D where I lived. Not on anything motorized, but on my leisure suit- green, Schwinn Stingray, 5 speed bicycle, complete with sparkly banana seat, and STP stickers. The morning after any Evel K event that was televised, every neighborhood kid had a brick/cinderblock, propping a section of plywood. We'd launch pretty good-- about ten feet out, and a foot and a half high. We didn't measure in conventional feet and inches back then-- we counted sidewalk blocks. That went for doing wheelies as well.

I finally got an '84 Suzuki DR100. I hit some hand shoveled foot tall back yard jumps with that beast. I felt like Rick Johnson. I had a ton of fun on that bike, and I have just as much fun every time I throw a leg over a dirt bike more than a quarter century later. ---L*64

I'll never forget the the small mound of dirt i piled in the middle of my track at age 5. Prolly all of 5 inches high. 1st lap I was over the bars and on my head due to my MR50 lack of travel. That jump/bump took me all day to build and took my dad 5 seconds to destroy with his workboot. He was pissed and to this day despises supercross and stadium type jumps. LOL.

Funny, I also started out on a 1974 Honda MR50 that I still have, and my first jumps were made over a wood ramp that my dad built for me that was about 8"-10" high and once I had it down pat, my dad would lay on the ground and let me jump over him (much like Evel Knievel jumping over cars). I had a great time riding around the house for hours hitting that 1 jump per lap!

A bike like this one in '67. 3372d890.jpg

The jump was a little rise on the edge of an excavated area. A tiny step up one way and a drop away the other (over and over again). Front mounted foot pegs so no standing to jump and no helmet or any other gear (ever that year). That seems dumb now but my only injury on the Bonanza was a leg burn from its' chrome pipe. I got a helmet the following year.

Mine was out the front door and down and flight of 4 steps. It was on a electric little motorcycle that went about 5 mph. I made it, but the motor blew. Dad wasn't watching me good that day. He left the screen door open when they moved something in the house. I remember being so upset at the damage I caused and drove my dad nuts to fix it. When he finally could not take it anymore, he decided to try and solder the wires on the electric motor. The interesting part, I was screwing around on the piano bench, which I eventually fell off and my hand landed on the hot soldering iron. That was a mess...off to ER I went. I have a great pic of me on the bike but cannot get it to upload!

Funny, I also started out on a 1974 Honda MR50 that I still have, and my first jumps were made over a wood ramp that my dad built for me that was about 8"-10" high and once I had it down pat, my dad would lay on the ground and let me jump over him (much like Evel Knievel jumping over cars). I had a great time riding around the house for hours hitting that 1 jump per lap!

That's cool.

Other than little mounds that I turned into jumps in the front yard way back when..

My first jumps were everything at Outlaw Extreme on my CR80. Before that I was trying to jump my xr100 at scenic but that wasn't working out very well

1969 Honda QA50 with a cinder block and a short piece of plywood on the sidewalk. The 1/4" plywood broke, ran into the cinder block and crashed hard at close to 10 mph since 2nd gear didn't work. Lots of scrapes cuts and bruises but luckily that football helmet saved my face! Then got my ass beat and grounded for doing it. Insult to injury! I ride pretty much the same today!

My Schwinn Bicycle, pedalling like hell, down hill; hit mound of dirt used to block road access; land about 30 feet away; blow out both tires and rims; walk away un broken! Laughing all the way home! But that was 35 years ago, today = ambulance ride!

A Kent Trail Climber bicycle. 1978. A milk crate with a short 2x6 leaning on it. I jumped 8 kids laying side by side. Tried for 10 kids. Cleared them and the stem snapped off, jamming the broken part, right in my gut. I was fine "ish" but the rush I got from that made me a different person, that still carries over to this day. The first Moto Jump? The Beans Pipe Jump in 2000 or so. Also, there was a big one at Kevin Ott's that I did in 01. Those counted as milestones for me.

The first Moto Jump? The Beans Pipe Jump in 2000 or so. Also, there was a big one at Kevin Ott's that I did in 01. Those counted as milestones for me.

Beans tunnel jump ur first on a mx bike? U got me...best I got on mx bike is a double at spokes..thought I was so. cool hitting that back then

Honestly can't remember the first one. I can remember a lot of different ones. The back double and the step up at Pyma leave an outstanding memory, there was the big double at Harborwoods in New Castle Pa. Or steel city up hill doubles... I really remember them all... lol

Back